Concept map templates are pretty well known all over the world used to display a group of concept meanings that are set in a framework of plans. They are schematic tools for learning and organizing information. They were created by Gowin and Novak way back in 1984. All these concepts are connected and related with one another. Also, they are all related to the main topic or thought.
Moreover, to strengthen the science of education in the field for more than 25 years, nursing concept map templates are now used. When these maps are made, the learners have to go through the following three processes;
- The learners have to create or determine the concepts that are part of the main topic.
- At the very top of the map, the learner would have to place the broader or more general concepts. While, at below of the map, there comes a more specific concept. Then, with linking words, the learner would have to connect the general and specific concepts together. This would represent a specific meaning.
- From one side of the map to the other and all around, the learner would have to look for other links or interconnections. Then, in order to combine the developing knowledge, the learner would make use of connecting words among them.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is a concept map?
- 2 The benefits of using concept map template:
- 3 Different types of concept maps:
- 4 How to make a nursing concept map template?
- 5 The disadvantages of concept map:
- 6 Conclusion:
- 7 Faq (Frequently Asked Questions)
- 8 What to ask while making or using concept maps?
- 9 How does technology help in creating concept maps?
What is a concept map?
It is a graphical tool or diagram that builds a relation among ideas and concepts. Concept maps consist of nodes or circles and boxes. Concept maps’ creators arrange them hierarchically. Arrows and lines are used to join them with phrases and linking words. By using images, ideas, words, and a circuit diagram, you can easily make a concept map.
Furthermore, you can facilitate sense-making and create the learning meaningful by constructing concept maps. The concept map consists of the following parts;
- Linking phrases and words
- Hierarchical structure
- Propositional structure
- Parking lot
- Focus question
The benefits of using concept map template:
There are various benefits of using a concept map template both in learning and professional setting. It doesn’t matter what your profession is, you can use this document to learn something new in your profession. Let us discuss below their different benefits;
- When you have tasked to make a presentation, this document can guide you. Since this concept map is very organized and logical, you can make a presentation quite easily.
- You can interpret facts and information quickly and easily. This map allows you and the reader to understand and interpret what’s presented quickly. The concepts are linked more easily as the presentation is visual. Using such a map is very useful both in educational and professional settings.
- This learning tool indicates the hierarchy of ideas and concepts. It helps the people in understanding the hierarchy of ideas and concepts. The connection of each of the components to the others is visually presented. Thus, makes it easy to understand.
- It allows you to visualize results or outcomes. The results and outcomes can be easily seen and understood as these maps are visual in nature.
- A concept map makes assessment easier. This kind of learning tools can be useful for assessment. After teaching a concept or sharing knowledge, the learners can be asked to make such a map to check and assess either or not they fully understood what they had learned.
- A concept map enables clearer communication of thoughts, knowledge, ideas, and information. It motivates learners to do research in order to discover new facts and concepts. Then, link them to one another.
- It makes the learners able to obtain more knowledge and assess what they have learned on their own.
Different types of concept maps:
Here are the different types of concept maps and formats you can use;
In this type of map, you place the main concept in the middle. And, the concepts, ideas and information are placed outwards. This map is easy to make and easy to read. All the data is organized around a central theme.
It is a chronological type of map that follows a definite pattern. It is organized according to importance or time when the facts or information have occurred. At the top, there is all the general data and the information becomes more specific as it moves down.
This type is considered a more linear approach to making a map. All the data is organized in a very orderly and logical way. Therefore, it is very easy to read.
This is a very detailed and complete approach to making a map. It might be a bit more complex to make. It would have all the possible data as well as all the relationships among them. You need a lot of critical thinking and problem solving skills to make this type of map.
How to make a nursing concept map template?
Here are pointers for making a nursing concept map template;
When to use it:
For nursing students and for practicing nurses, creating this map would motivate critical thinking and problem solving skills. This way, the theoretical knowledge of nursing students will enhance that they have learned from classes. Then, they apply it in a real life case study in a very organized way.
Structure to use:
In making a map, you have to decide on what type to use and what structure to use for it to make it effective. You may attention on a particular patient. Move on to identify how you would be treating the illness he/she is afflicted with. No matter what structure you use, make sure it’s organized.
Making your map:
At first, think about the main concept you will be focusing on. Whether it’s a patient, an illness or a concept, you have to place it at the center or top of your map. After that, move towards the subtopics, supporting topic and such moving from a general topic to specific ones. This map is very useful for a nurse or a nursing student.
Think about the limitations:
Using in the field of nursing or in such setting, this learning tool does have its limitation. The main limitation is how the writing on the map is presented. It should be written legibly. Another limitation is that these maps can take a lot of time to make.
The disadvantages of concept map:
- To teach students with disabilities, concept maps are ineffective. The reason behind it is that they need fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, and reading and writing.
- For teachers or group leaders, concept mapping in most cases can be a lot of work.
- Concept maps aren’t used in lower grades because a lot of time is required to teach students how to make good concept maps.
- You can only use them for mastering concepts when the content has already been learned firstly through other means.
- They are difficult to grade and creating them not suitable for use in standardized testing.
- Valuable time is required to learn how to create concept maps.
In conclusion, a concept map template is a powerful tool that helps you in your learning process. This document provides you a lot of benefits either you make them from scratch or opt to work on a free concept map template. It allows its learners to link and integrate new facts and concepts.
Faq (Frequently Asked Questions)
What to ask while making or using concept maps?
You should ask yourself about the following things while preparing or using concept maps;
- Why am I creating the map
- How will it be used
- What the central word is
- Which you are making the concept map
How does technology help in creating concept maps?
Technology can assist in creating a concept map by creating it simple and easy to use. The process of making concept maps become very simple by using software. You can use different software that have different features.