Exercise is considered a healthier habit if practiced calculatedly. It is always important to have a proper tracking system in hand for your daily workout routine. Here, workout tracker templates play an important role in managing and tracking time-to-time workout activities for fitness regards.
Working out isn’t just linked to going gym and do whatever you want without any regular pattern. For fitness purposes, it’s equally important to follow a systematic pattern of working out. It’s irrelevant if you are doing it for years or just thinking to start a workout routine for the first time.
Before going into the details of the workout tracker, It is important to follow the below guidelines on how to start working out. So, the tracking system should have any purpose;
- Identify the goal to know, what you want to be good at?
- Do the research and reach the people who already have made it.
- Focus on the main idea instead of following the details.
- Don’t haste; Go slow with the rhythm.
- Be punctual; don’t miss the workout session.
- Choose the best exercise aligning with the goal and get started.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is a workout log?
- 2 What is an exercise log?
- 3 Different types of workout templates:
- 4 How to format your workout log?
- 5 Importance of Workout Tracker Templates
- 6 How to make the Workout Tracker Templates?
- 7 How do I create a workout log in Excel?
- 8 Why do you require a workout log?
- 9 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- 10 How do I use printable workout logs?
- 11 How to keep a workout journal?
What is a workout log?
A workout log is a journal, notebook, or app that assists you to keep a record of your training so that every session is efficient. It contains the record of your previous session. Your memory can’t store all this information and you can easily forget the smallest details. A workout log allows you to plan your next session easily by keeping the previous session in view. In this way, you can definitely improve your progress on a regular basis.
What is an exercise log?
A workout log can be compared to a journal that shows the type of exercise or training that you do on a daily basis. You can either use a notebook or an online application for this purpose. It is used to maintain a record of your workout sessions. You can also use it for easy tracking of the workout sessions of other people and for more effective training regimens. You can track down your workout activities with a workout log template.
There are particular reasons, particularly for the dedicated practitioners that why it is essential to keep track of exercises done. The first reason is that the workout log can easily help you with challenges and problems. This enables to make suitable amendments so that you can get your health goals with the least amount of effort.
Different types of workout templates:
It would be a tremendous task to accomplish to work on templates to suit each client. The reason behind it is that every client will have different requirements to get their own desired goals. The trainer requires to design a template that could apply to all his clients. The trainer only requires copy this template to the client’s training plan when this is achieved. After that, without affecting the trainer’s main plan, make the necessary adjustments.
Make your main template and demonstrate all possible workouts and explain their individual goals. Allows you the time to immediately start your program is the advantage of making your own log. As a client, once you’ve reached a certain stage in the routine, your file can be updated easily. Basically, there are 3 common types of workout templates;
This type of template a workout that has rounds of group exercises. Three types of workouts could be taken i.e. 30 push-ups, followed by 30 jumping jacks, and then (30) minutes of jogging in place. Then, ask your client to repeat the series three (3) times. You can just establish for yourself a simple circuit workout.
The regular workout template includes exercises that the trainer would allocate a client to perform. Before moving on to the next, it involves a particular number of sets for one particular exercise. Ask your client to perform three (3) sets of push-ups and every set may contain say 10. Before going on to the next exercise, the client requires to complete 30 push-ups. Every assigned exercise set requires to be completed as a rule. The workout will indicate every set of exercises the client has to complete.
You can develop and work with a continuous interval workout with this kind of workout. With several exercises which must be done in a timed and organized fashion, make your template with them. There is no need to build different workouts separately.
How to format your workout log?
On the basis of the parts, format your log and explain the importance of each. There are generally two main parts of a workout log that are mentioned below;
The exercise log
In this section, you will write down everything relevant to your workout regime. It should include the following;
- You have to note down the exercises, the weights, the number of sets/rep
- For a particular muscle group, write down the total time and strive to push as much weight in as little time as possible. This is the formula for intensity.
- From A to F, grade yourself on the basis of how you felt versus how you did.
- Create notes for the cardio workout;
1- How long have you did
2- Your heart rate percentage
3- The number of calories burned
The nutritional log
Make note of the following;
- The time you eat
- What you eat
- The amount you eat
- The number of calories taken
You have to make notes of everything. You have to be honest so that it would not jeopardize the value of your nutritional log.
Importance of Workout Tracker Templates
To achieve the fitness goal set before starting the workout routine. It’s important to be punctual, and have patience and rhythm in working out the pattern. Just going on randomly with different exercises and diet plans isn’t really going to make any difference. Therefore, it becomes essential to make a workout tracker that should accomplish the below goals;
- The workout tracking template must be easy to use and quick.
- So, it must not take a lot of time for recording the workout instead of doing it.
- The workout tracking template must have only useful information.
- Information that isn’t really required must not be present or recorded.
- A simple workout tracker just has 3 sets of information.
- Firstly, what I have to do? Secondly, what I have already done? Finally, what is the next session I have to do?
- The workout tracking template should be versatile enough to record different styles of workouts.
- This means that one template should be enough to fulfill all needs of workout tracking.
How to make the Workout Tracker Templates?
A good workout-tracking template is one that fulfills all the purposes briefly jotted in the above paragraph. So, an efficient, as well as effective workout tracker template can be developed by following the below guidelines;
- Write down the date of starting a new workout session and body weight.
- This practice can be followed daily or after any set milestones.
- Decide the workout plan and formalize the way of writing the workout plan.
- One can follow the (Exercise – Weight – Sets x Reps) format of writing a workout plan.
- Choose the workout plan for the initial days of working out very carefully.
- Use tally marks or any other method of recording the sets completed after each set.
- Better to go for the tally mark system as it’s easy and the quickest one.
This system of tracking workouts is versatile to use for any style of workout, also the quickest one and records only required information.
How do I create a workout log in Excel?
- At first, open Excel, and at the top of the search bar, search for Fitness. On the homepage, excel provides you several different types of templates before going to start a new workbook.
- Next, choose the ‘Fitness plan’ template that you like.
- After that, enter all the information related to your workout in the data cells given. Commonly, templates contain four exercises per category i.e.
However, you can also edit the template as you want.
- You can also share your workout log with your trainers. For this purpose, you just need to enter the email addresses of those with whom you want to share your training success.
- Then, for tracking the progress of your fitness plan by using an Excel file, click File and then select new and enter ‘weight loss tracker’ to find the ‘weight loss tracker with BMI’ template, then choose it to open it.
- In the ‘data entry’ tab, type your personal data to keep a record of your progress.
Why do you require a workout log?
You need strict discipline to keep your workout log and follow your workout schedule and to stay focused and feel motivated by your fitness goals. You can reach your health goals easily by having the right workout spreadsheet template where you write down your gym sessions. Below are some common reasons that why you need the log;
Assist you in setting better goals
You should avoid too much exercise as it can damage your body tissues. It only results in failing to achieve the goals if you exert too much and it could be very demoralizing. You can monitor your progress with a log. When setting your goals, be as realistic as possible. When you go slowly, it will help you succeed and consequently, prevent you from getting discouraged, demoralized or damaged.
Feel more motivated and inspired
The advantage of reviewing your progress in the gym is one of the most rewarding and gratifying aspects of keeping a log. You will find out through this how much progress you have achieved. In a span of so many workout sessions, the log indicates you in chronological order how much longer, faster or farther you need.
By having such an accomplishment, your sense of pride will boost and it will remind you that you’re capable of getting stronger. As a result, it will encourage you to accomplish more.
To discover patterns
You will come to discover patterns when you regularly keep track of the physical activities you’re involved in each day. When you feel energized, it will help you maximize your workout sessions and take a break when you’re feeling down.
Improve your exercise routines
Having a desire to write about an amazing workout every day is another benefit of keeping this log. As such, by using a plan for how to achieve your goals, enables you to create better goals.
Whether these plans are short- or long-term, you can keep track of and measure everything in your log is what matters most. You may consider your log as a blueprint for your fitness goals at the end of the day.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How do I use printable workout logs?
Here are some guidelines on how to use printable workout logs;
- In the date and time section, write the exact date and time of the workout.
- Before each workout, check your weight daily. This is because if you are planning to lose weight then it is important. Moreover, it has various advantages.
- Jot down cardio if you had any because this will affect your workout.
- Write down all the exercises in your program. You will perform this exercise every time when you will work out. The exercise sets that you will be doing to keep track of it.
- Also, note down how long you work out from start to end.
- Next, add any comments that you have for your work out. You can write anything you learned or anything interesting that happened to you.
- Write the location of your workout. It is necessary for those who workout at different places.
How to keep a workout journal?
Here are some guidelines on how to start a workout journal and keep up with it;
- Firstly, select a journal you will use.
- Secondly, take an initiative with your goals. Your goals are to weight lose, run faster, etc.
- Next, mark your food goals and intake.
- Keep a record of how frequently you exercise.
- Then, jot down your emotions.
- Make it interesting.
- Furthermore, keep it as a part of your schedule.