You, as the employer or the HR head, needs a training plan template to give your employees with the necessary training that will strengthen their skills. This training plan also boosts company growth. By providing the right training, the weaknesses that can slow down your company’s growth, operations, and the overall success are also reduces.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is a training plan outline?
- 2 Why do you require a training plan?
- 3 What are the types of training plan templates?
- 4 What is the importance of an employee training plan?
- 5 How to write a training plan?
- 6 The must-haves of an employee training plan:
- 7 Conclusion:
What is a training plan outline?
A training plan is used as an outline for the requirements, objectives, curriculum, and strategies that you require to address while employees using any enhanced or new amendments in your company. Moreover, the training plan must contain your target audiences and the topics that it will cover. You may also like Training Manual Templates.
Why do you require a training plan?
Your employees should become efficient in their jobs as they are your most valuable asset. This will be definitely good for your company. So, having a good training plan is the most important thing for your company. This document gives you with the tools that instructs your employees in improving their productivity.
Nowadays, training schedule templates differ from the ones in the past because these plans require adjustments to the changing conditions in the world of business. You can create your own plan from scratch or you can customize it to suit your requirements. Let us discuss below the benefits of having this plan;
- This plan provides you an advantage towards your employees’ productivity. Also, it promotes a healthy work culture.
- Since it will set up your new employees for success, they will have a clear path to productivity.
- In the workplace, it gives empowerment and realistic expectations for making a thriving culture that will come to fruition.
- It makes you able to be better than your competitors. Your team will have better opportunities to win in the market and in the eyes of your customers as a plan helps your employees succeed.
What are the types of training plan templates?
There are four common types of a training plan;
New-hire training plan
For new employees, new hire training plan is important. With the help of this plan, they get insights into the job role, familiarizes with company policies and procedures, get knowledge about enterprise tools, and much more. Furthermore, new hires might not feel low morale by having an effective new-hire training plan.
Training needs assessment template
Before launching a training program, making a training needs assessment plan outlines the necessary groundwork that is required for specific training program. They also need to make decisions on the basis of measurable outcomes to get better ROI.
Individual employee training plan template
An employee training plan is a document that outlines the following;
- A training program
- The goals of the training
- Learning outcomes
- Training method
- Curriculum to train employees
Employee development plan template
This plan is proactive and considered a forward-looking action plan. Employees get new skills and competencies through this plan.
What is the importance of an employee training plan?
The employee training plan has great importance. Let us discuss them below;
- When you check your employee’s skills regularly, it will assist you in identifying skill gaps in knowledge and it makes sure that they have competencies which are necessary to perform their job efficiently.
- Through an employee training plan, employee can learn new skills and update existing skills. Thus, they become more efficient and productive at their jobs.
- Employees feel important when the training program is conducted continuously. They also prepare themselves to perform their jobs well as well as absenteeism rate decreases and retention rate increases.
- When you have an effective employee training plan, it makes sure that when one of your team members is absent, you have already someone to perform his duty.
- Everyone works from the same information base by having this plan. Thus, it promotes consistency throughout the team.
How to write a training plan?
Here are a few pointers that will help you in creating your training plan;
Identify your company’s training needs
Use your company’s various resources in order to identify your employees’ training needs. Consider the following before creating your training plan template;
- Company goals
- Job descriptions
- HR complaints
- Legal obligations
Identify the employees you will train
After compiling all of the topics to cover in your training, you have to identify which of your employees need training. To determine these employees, you can use other available resources of your company. You can refer the following for this;
- Company Policy: You should use this policy to start your list of employees as it will determine who needs training and in what frequency.
- Employee Records: by reviewing the records of your employees, you can identify which employees might need more training.
- Performance Data: you can identify your employee’s weaknesses by reviewing their performance information. Those employees who have such weaknesses require refresher training.
- Observations: you will identify those employees who need training in specific areas by vigilantly keeping your ears and eyes open in the workplace.
- Informal Discussions: talking to your employees, supervisors, and managers frequently make a point. By doing this, you will get candid information regarding areas where employees feel well-equipped to perform their jobs.
- Focus Groups: this includes choosing a group of employees who you will ask designed questions about training. The activity will be your opportunity to collect relevant information in a short interval of time.
- Interviews: personal interviews is another effective way to discover what training your employees want or need. But, this method is time-consuming.
- Questionnaires: Come up with a questionnaire specific to the training plan template Excel is the effective method for new or elective training areas.
- Demonstrations or Skill Tests: determine who needs additional training by conducting written tests or having your employees perform demonstrations on certain equipment.
Learn how to improve your employees
Adults are typically considered self-directed learners. They have their own learning styles that generally contain certain parameters. You as a trainer have to structure your training programs to meet these parameters. Aside from this, you can still encounter reluctant learners. You can consider these factors to overcome this issue;
For each session to make a feeling of concern, you should start with an open or friendly tone. After that, set an appropriate difficulty level for your training. For adult trainers, other motivators may include the following;
- Personal achievement
- Social well-being
- External expectations
- Social relationships
Know your audience
By analyzing the participants in each of the groups, you can make each training session as effective as possible. Let us discuss below the three most common learning styles;
- Visual: the learners get best information by reading and seeing. Their brains process the visual information. After seeing it, they retain it. These learners benefit best by visual presentations such as diagrams, written instructions, handouts, videos, and more.
- Oral: These learners’ best receive information through audio-conferences, speakers, Q&A sessions, discussion groups, and more.
- Tactile or Kinetic: these learners’ best get information via their sense of touch. You should also check Employee Training Schedule Templates.
Create a comprehensive blueprint
You will identify after your research what your training needs are, who requires training, and the method you can best train them. Next, it’s time to build your plans. You can do this by following steps;
- For the accomplishments, use quantifiable measurements that you think your employees have to achieve after their training.
- The specific trends and numbers that you want your training program should achieve, use charts, tables, and graphs to present them.
- You intended goals should be both achievable and realistic. However, they don’t have to be too easy. To improve your employee’s performance, you should know them well enough to know how to challenge them.
The must-haves of an employee training plan:
Following are the important must-haves of an employee training plan;
- The main purpose of the training or SMART goals
- Type of training (online or offline)
- To calculate ROI, KPIs and other measurable
- Training timelines
- Training method
- Training material
- List of employees who will attend the training
- Digital tools that employee will use
In conclusion, a training plan template is an essential tool that boosts your company growth, operations, and the overall success. This training plan guides your employees in improving their productivity.