A syllabus template is a helpful tool that assists you in making the elements, goals, and content of a whole course. With the help of this document, students can find out the type of learning teachers can expect from the class. A copy of course syllabus is given to the students by an instructor at the start of the college course.
Table of Contents
- What to include on your syllabus?
- How to write a syllabus?
- Let the students to read the syllabus:
What to include on your syllabus?
The syllabus of a particular course provides a brief overview of the objective and subjective of that course. It also contains various details that students need to know to be successful in the class. These details include;
- Instructor’s name, contact information, email address, and office hours.
- Required textbooks and materials,
- Grading policies
- Any prerequisites or co-requisites of the course
- Other discipline rules and guidelines.
So, you must include all above information either you are making a college syllabus, high school syllabus, or middle school syllabus. Sometime you have to include other content on your syllabus such as; You may also like Essay Outline Templates.
Be specific as much as you can while writing the statements of your attendance policy. Discuss about all type of absences such as excused absences, unexcused absences, etc. Also, talk about the affect of these absences on the grades of the students. The policies you will create must be aligned to your school’s policies.
State how students get information about their course, learn about announcements, and contact you. Nowadays, there are different means of communication through which students can access all these information. Hence, clarify the suitable means of communication for the students so that they know exactly how to get in touch with you.
Electronic devices policy:
Explain the policies regarding the use of electronic devices in the school. Also, state the consequences if students go against these policies.
Food and drink policy:
Whether the students are allowed to eat or drink in the class explain this policy in this section. State which type of food or drinks aren’t allowed in the class.
Course requirements and assignment list:
Emphasize the grading policy of you plan to use for your course. Which type of assignments and quizzes you will give to the students mention them. Furthermore, specify them how these assignments and quizzes will affect the grades of the students.
Here you have to discuss different parameters such as how to submit assignments, policy on late projects or assignments, resubmission, etc.
Course calendar requires most time to make. But it keeps you on track for the whole term. However, if you are not sure about some of the activities, write ‘TBA’ in these spaces.
How to write a syllabus?
Here are some tips that will help you in writing an effective syllabus;
The basic information:
- At first, open MS Word and select the proper margins, layout, and font types.
- Include the identification information first in your document. The identification information informs about you and the title of the course to your students.
- Next, in the course description section, explain the course in such a way that students can get an idea about the content of your course.
- List the objectives of the course for the students. In this way, they know what they have to accomplish after taking your course.
- You should list any co-requisites or prerequisites to your course so that students know whether or not they’re prepared to take your course.
- List down all the required materials such as books, software, hardware, art supplies, etc.
- Also, include a short statement about the organization.
List the policies and schedule:
- Write the policy regarding how you evaluate and grade your students.
- Then, discuss about the assignment policy and also state what happens to students grades if they miss or submit any incomplete assignments.
- The most important part is the scheduled of your course. Ensure that you put a lot of thought into it.
- Outline the policies regarding your course and classroom. Here you should include the rules for academic and behavioral expectations.
Add institutional language:
- In this section, you have to explain the policy for any syllabus changes which let the students know that they have right to change the syllabus.
- Describe the drop/add policy of your institution.
- Honor code policy of your institution should be discussed in your document.
- It’s better to outline the emergency procedures.
- Provide the information regarding religious holidays.
- Write the American with Disabilities Act or ADA. It is basically a requirement by the federal law.
- Discuss the federal privacy law, the family educational rights and privacy act. You should also check Multiple Choice Test Templates.
Let the students to read the syllabus:
To make sure that your students read the syllabus follow the below tips;
- On the first day of the class, provide your students a couple of minutes to read the whole syllabus. It’s better instead of providing the syllabus at the end of the class for the students to take home. Additionally, you can highlight the most important points to make it more effective and encourage your students.
- You should take a quiz of your students to know how much they understood the syllabus.
- Another way to check whether they understood the syllabus or not is by playing a creative game with them.
- Moreover, you can also ask the students to sign a form which states that they have read and understood the syllabus thoroughly.
In conclusion, a syllabus template is a helpful tool that allows you to create an introduction of your educational course. It contains the elements, goals, and content of a whole course. It has a brief overview of the objective and subjective of a particular course.