On many occasions, small discrete data needs to be written and stored for different purposes. The index card template is helpful in many ways to record and store this small amount of data. There are a lot of things to understand about the index card such as the different types and sizes of an index card.
How these are helpful in different scenarios?
How to create a simple index card?
A record, index, or system card is a card made out of heavy paper cut into different standard sizes to record and store a small set of discrete data. These cards help in indexing different sets of data such as library catalog or back of the book cards are also serve the indexing purpose. The indexing process helps to expedite the lookup strategy to a certain set of information. You may also like the punch card template.
Table of Contents
- 1 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
- 2 What is an index card?
- 3 How do you create an index card template in MS Word?
- 4 What are the uses of an index card?
- 5 How do you print on a 3 by 5 inches index card in Word?
- 6 What role index cards play in research?
- 7 How to create an Index Card Template?
- 8 Types and Sizes of Index Cards
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
What is an index card?
An index card is a mini card consists of card stock; used for storing and recording discrete data such as addresses, contact numbers, etc. The most common size of these cards is 3 by 5 inches and other available sizes are 4 by 6 inches, 5 by 8 inches and ISO-size is A7. They are used in several events and help you with your planning.
How do you create an index card template in MS Word?
Index card templates are very helpful. You can download them online and also create your own template. Creating your own template is very easy. For creating your own template, you just need a computer, a printer, and you just have to follow the below steps;
- Open the MS Word and find the Page Layout tab.
- Then, click on the ‘More Paper Sizes’ option.
- Next, change the size of the paper width to 5 inches and the height to 3 inches. You can also input the size that you want. Click ‘OK’ after changing the size.
- Hence, by doing the above step you have a printable index card template. Then, it’s up to you if you want to leave it blank, or add lines or a grid to it.
- Give the title to your template or any notes that you want to print out.
- When you have all done with the above steps, you can print it out.
What are the uses of an index card?
An index card is used for various purposes such as;
- For a huge range of applications and environments.
- In the house, it is used to record and store recipes.
- Used for shopping lists.
- To record and store contact information and other organizational data.
- In the business, it is used to record presentation notes, project research, and notes. Also, to record contact information.
- In schools, they are used as flashcards or other visual aids.
- In academic research, it is used to store data like bibliographic citations or notes.
How do you print on a 3 by 5 inches index card in Word?
Let us discuss step-by-step how you print on a 3 by 5 inches card in MS Word;
Step#1: Firstly, open the Word document that you want to print. Then, choose the file and click Print.
Step#2: A drop-down menu appears when you click on the option of Copies and Pages.
Step#3: Next, choose the Layout option.
Step#4: For going to the words Page per sheet click on the drop-down menu.
Step#5: Then, from the drop-down menu choose the number of Pages per Sheet you want to print.
Step#6: After doing the above step, ensures that the direction of your page is correct.
Step#7: Finally, when you set all your references, click print.
What role index cards play in research?
The first and foremost part of researching is to organize the information and your thoughts. For this purpose, you can use an index card system to collect information. This makes your work easy for you. Furthermore, you can classify the information you find by topic.
How to create an Index Card Template?
Index cards are useful in a range of applications and fields. Keeping in view the scope of its application it’s important to make index cards very carefully to meet its standard values.
These are user-friendly, highly customizable, and easy to edit. The process of making an effective index card template consist of the following simple steps:
- Identify the need for using an index card and the nature of purpose it needs to serve.
- As per the identified application of the index card, choose the best suiting type and size of the index card.
- Depending on the selected type and size of the index card, use related pattern, color, and format for the index card.
Indexing card is used in a wide range of activities such as in-home these are used to record and store the contact information, data of someone, writing recipes, and making shopping lists. In businesses, a blank note card template serves the purpose of sticky notes as well. Notecard template also used to record the presentation notes, project notes, and to note keywords in the meeting. Contact information of the clients and other stakeholders is also preferred to capture via these cards. You may also check the puzzle piece template.
Flash card templates are used in schools especially for the kids to make the learning process more innovative and interesting for the kids to learn while playing with different flashcards.
Types and Sizes of Index Cards
Index cards serve a lot of purposes and used in a range of applications and environments. There are serial types of index cards such as note cards, blank note cards, flashcards, ruled index cards, grid-patterned index cards, color-coded strips cards, tabbed index cards, and Rolodex index cards. You may also free download the birthday card template.
There are many standard sizes of index cards as per the nature of cards. The few standard sizes of printable index cards are; 3in x 5in, 4in x 6in, 5in x 8in, and 2 ¼ in x 4in.
Simple Word documents can be used to make almost every type of index card. The process of making the index card using a Word document is really simple. This MS Word designed index card is easy to manipulate as per the need.