Feelings chart is a document used to identify a child’s feeling. Determining the child’s feeling is important especially for children who don’t have communication skills. Their feelings can be unpredictable and it can be difficult to know how they are feeling. But, with the help of feelings chart, you can easily know about their feelings or emotions.
Table of Contents
The primary feelings to include in a feelings chart:
Younger children feel several emotions. It is difficult to understand what they are actually feeling even with a feelings chart. The major problem is that to comprehend where their emotions come from. However, it is important to first to learn the basics in order to understand the variety of complex feelings. There are 8 primary feeling that humans are high-wired to feel;
Some other feelings may also arise but they are from a combination of these primary ones. Robert Plutchik first introduced this theory and established the emotions or feelings wheel. This tool basically demonstrates and simplifies complex emotions. You may also like Reward Chart Templates.
Reasons for using a feelings chart:
It is very important for children to learn how to express and identify their feelings. This is also known as emotional intelligence. Moreover, it is an essential ability to manage interpersonal relationships. A feelings chart is the best way for kids to start teaching this. This chart makes them able to share and identify their feelings. Here are some reasons for using this chart;
- Simple feelings like sad, happy, angry, and so on are introduced to children through this chart. This builds their vocabulary and enables them to comprehend more complex feelings later.
- These charts have illustrations for adults and kids that indicate body language and facial expressions of different feelings. The expressions on the chart could be more exaggerated than in real life. This will also help children in learning.
- It is challenging for children to open up and share their feelings especially negative ones. You can feel vulnerable by informing others that you’re mad, sad, or you need help. Both kids and adults do a lot of struggle on the matter of opening up and sharing their feelings. This chart is usually used for the non-verbal children mean they can’t share their feelings by using words.
However, when children can’t share their feelings with words or they don’t have another effective way to share it then they behave in undesirable or negative ways.
How to create a feelings chart?
In this modern era, you can use emojis make your feelings chart. In the past, everybody used one specific image of feeling faces. But, we have a lot of emojis everywhere. You can use them to make printable feelings charts. Since a feeling chart assists in identifying what children are currently feeling or in determining what other kids are also feeling. Children can easily figure this out by having a visual chart. You just have to look at a face and identify feelings instead of just identifying them. Follow the below steps to make your own chart;
- At first, pay attention to the feelings you want to include. Use the primary feelings to keep it simple. When your child learned the basics then go for the more complicated feelings such as frustrated, embarrassed, silly, confused, or worried. Then, take the pictures of real children indicating these emotions. You can do this either by taking photos of your children or by downloading stock images of children.
- Place the pictures in the chart. Under each face, write the corresponding feelings. Place it where your child can easily access it. In this way, without asking your help, your child can look at it.
How to use a feelings chart?
Children start acting out when they have difficulty in explaining what they feel. This usually takes place with children 12 years and below. This is because they don’t have skills that are required to recognize their feelings and verbally talk about them. With a use of feelings chart, you can allow your child to communicate their feelings. This chart has a lot of feelings or emotions that your child may experience throughout the day and throughout the days of the week. By using simple materials such as markers, cardboards, crayons, and colored pencils, you can make it.
Moreover, you can draw faces on paper by hand. You can also use photos or face stickers to paste on the chart. The primary purpose of these charts is to reflect the interests and personality of children. You can also involve your child in the making process. You can also ask them what feelings they want to include.
After making the chart, hang it in your child’s room. After that, decide the proper time to review your child’s chart. It’s better to do this before bedtime because it is the best time to make bonding with your child. Don’t limit it to that time, you should ask them to place a face on the chart to describe how they feel throughout the day.
However, it depends on your child that how many faces they select whether they may select only one face during the day or may select several. The number of feelings your child will express is not an important thing. You just have to make sure that your child learns how to indicate their feelings with the right words. The role of parents over the feelings of the day is that they have to reflect their child’s feelings back to them. You should also check Chore Chart Templates.
In conclusion, a feelings chart is a helpful tool in order to determine the feelings of children. This chart is also the best way to teach children about how to express and identify their feelings. At first, teach them primary feelings and then move towards the more complex feelings.