Either a vehicle is in personal use or maintained by a company. It’s important to keep on monitoring the performance of the vehicle. Sometimes due to performance issues, the vehicle mileage factor reduces significantly which results in financial loss. A vehicle maintenance log book helps to keep a record of service activities performed as periodic, preventive, or breakdown maintenance.
The purpose of owning a vehicle is to get transport at the most affordable rate as well as with full comfort. When a vehicle starts causing a problem. It is not only troublesome in monetary terms but also badly affects the comfort of the owner. You may also like Printable Driver Log Book Templates.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is Vehicle Maintenance Log?
- 2 What is a car maintenance check?
- 3 Basic types of vehicle maintenance logs:
- 4 What are the benefits of the Vehicle Maintenance Log Template?
- 5 What are the Basic Elements of Vehicle Maintenance Log Template?
- 6 The elements of a vehicle maintenance log:
- 7 How to create a Vehicle Maintenance Log Template?
- 8 What do you have to do to maintain your vehicle?
- 8.1 Read the owner’s manual of your car
- 8.2 Determine the significance of preventive maintenance
- 8.3 Inspect your own car
- 8.4 Check your car’s fluids
- 8.5 Check and change your oil regularly
- 8.6 Check your vehicle’s battery
- 8.7 Replace your car’s parts when required
- 8.8 Check your tires and alignment regularly
- 8.9 Finally, change spark plugs of your car
- 9 How do you keep car maintenance logs?
- 10 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- 11 How can you track your car maintenance?
- 12 What is routine maintenance on a vehicle?
What is Vehicle Maintenance Log?
A vehicle maintenance log is a historical record of an individual vehicle that how is it condition and when repair work is done on it. It is used for the purpose of safety, preventive maintenance, and record-keeping. From ranging small businesses to large transport operators commercial fleet owners used it. It can also be used for both maintenance work and general vehicle inspection checks.
What is a car maintenance check?
Keeping your car in proper running and better condition needs a little bit of effort. If you want to keep your car in top-running condition then you should know the basics about what your car needs and when should you perform routine car maintenance. There are three types of car check-ups. The first one is short-term check-ups, the second one is long-term check-ups, and the last one is seasonal check-ups.
- The short-term check-ups include oil and coolant levels, air filter, tire pressure and tread depth, headlights, turn signals, brake, wax vehicle, and parking lights.
- The long-term check-ups include transmission fluid, transfer case fluid, and inspect shocks and struts, coolant fluid exchange, spark plugs, and serpentine belt.
- The seasonal check-ups include replacing windshield wipers, battery performance check, change tires, and check coolant levels.
Basic types of vehicle maintenance logs:
Personal and professional vehicles require daily maintenance. Surely, the former requires less servicing than the latter. Auto maintenance logs prove very useful in various situations. You have to perform daily checks and maintenance of the vehicles. Moreover, you have to keep track of mileage and odometer readings in your log in case you sell used cars. For buyers, this is important to know this information.
In some situations, the regular maintenance is crucial for your safety. You need to make sure your vehicle is running properly if you’re a member of an emergency response unit. Check the log to ensure that a vehicle underwent regular servicing before you use it.
For different situations, you can make different kinds of logs. Let us discuss below common types of logs that you can download or make;
- Commercial vehicle maintenance log
- Daily vehicle maintenance log
- Emergency vehicle maintenance log
- Fire truck maintenance log
- Weekly vehicle maintenance log
What are the benefits of the Vehicle Maintenance Log Template?
The vehicle maintenance log template is used for a number of purposes. It serves an important role in maintaining the service record of the vehicle. It helps to perform all periodic changes in a timely manner to get rid of any major breakdown. At the end of a certain period, the owner can calculate the mileage as well as the cost per mile for the vehicle.
Companies use a vehicle maintenance log to manage a fleet of pool vehicles. It helps to maintain the health and performance of a vehicle and to ensure the availability of the vehicle in the fleet to minimize the chances of breakdown maintenance.
What are the Basic Elements of Vehicle Maintenance Log Template?
There are different types of vehicle maintenance log templates. Personal and business fleet vehicle maintenance log books cover almost similar kinds of information. The basic elements that must be present in each type of logbook template are;
- Vehicle Information (Model, Make, Year, and Registration Number)
- Mileage Record (Beginning Mileage and End Mileage)
- Log Book (Date, Mileage, Services Formed, Performed by, Cost and Comments)
The elements of a vehicle maintenance log:
You may have already tried to keep one type of log in your life. Keeping track of maintenance would help be very helpful if you have a log. To keep track of your equipment’s functionality, you should use an equipment maintenance log. A car maintenance log can be used to monitor the health of your car and so on.
You can download a template online if you need. It’s important for you to include all the relevant components in case you decide to make one yourself. These include the following;
- The battery record
- The brakes
- The lubrication
- The mileage or odometer readings
- The mirrors
- The oil filter and motor record
- The suspension system
- The tires and tire pressure
Also, you should contain the repair records. If your vehicle underwent some extensive maintenance, these are particularly important. You can add as much information as you want if you are creating your own template. You just have to ensure that you add these basics so that you don’t forget anything when performing a check. You may also like vehicle checklist templates.
How to create a Vehicle Maintenance Log Template?
Vehicle maintenance log templates are used as logbooks as well as excel sheets to keep a record of every vehicle individually. It’s a simple excel spreadsheet type template that is printable and formulated to perform different calculations about vehicle maintenance costs. You should also check vehicle purchase agreement templates.
Follow the below basic guidelines to make an effective vehicle maintenance log template;
- At the top, write down the title of the logbook as the Vehicle Maintenance log sheet.
- Below the title make a small table to mention the vehicle information.
- Such as make, model, year, engine number, price and registration number of the vehicle. Also, cover the mileage record of the vehicle as starting and ending mileage.
- In the body section, make a large table for a number of entries about the vehicle maintenance log.
- Title the columns of the table as date, mileage at the time of service, services performed, services performed by, cost of each service and comments.
- Some vehicle maintenance log templates are integrated with checklists.
- To make sure all the periodic maintenance tasks must be performed on a timely basis.
Vehicle maintenance log templates are easy to make and have importance in managing personal as well as business vehicle fleets. The above steps are just to make a basic vehicle maintenance log template. One can also add business-specific information on the log template.
What do you have to do to maintain your vehicle?
The best way for you to prevent deterioration is regularly maintaining your vehicle. In case, you are a car owner, then by having daily checks and keeping a lot will be very helpful. By good maintenance, you will save you a lot of money. Also, it makes sure your safety while using your vehicle.
You will definitely know if you’ve already tried working on cars that repairs can cost a lot of money. Therefore, it is better to perform preventive maintenance to grab problems early on. Let us discuss below some other ways that you can employ to maintain your vehicle;
Read the owner’s manual of your car
Your new purchased car always come with an owner’s manual. It will include the suggested maintenance schedule. Manufacturers contains useful information on the manual. This involves how often you should modify the oil, the filters, timing belts, and more. To keep your vehicle running, you will also know what kind of oil to use.
Determine the significance of preventive maintenance
The experienced car users have idea that car repairs can cost a lot of money. The sad thing is that in the first place you could have done more to prevent the problems.
Inspect your own car
It is recommended that you should learn how to do an inspection of your own vehicle. Whenever you do so, you should ensure that to write down all your findings in your car maintenance log. You can do it at any time as this is a basic procedure.
When you check your car, you will become able to discover anything that’s out of the ordinary. You should perform inspection of your lights, your tires’ air pressure, your car’s mileage, and more. In addition, bring your vehicle to the shop immediately if you discover anything strange.
Check your car’s fluids
Of course, you don’t know how to change your car’s fluid. But, you must learn how to check it. You can sometimes check the fluid’s level directly. However, there are dipsticks or gauges in some cases that you can pull out. By doing this, you can see the level of your car’s fluid. Again, to find out how you can check the different fluid levels, go through your vehicle’s manual. Add more or have the tanks filled when you see that your car’s running low on fluids. Have your vehicle checked immediately in case you see any leaks.
Check and change your oil regularly
Also, it is important for you to know how to check the oil. The difference between clean oil and muddy or murky oil, you must know. You will save you a lot of you money by knowing this. Furthermore, this will also provide you an idea in case something’s wrong with your car’s engine.
Check your vehicle’s battery
Nowadays, most batteries don’t require much maintenance. However, it is still essential to have knowledge where you car’s battery is. You should inspect the batter once in a while in order to ensure that there aren’t any leaks. Additionally, to see if there’s any buildup, examine the contacts. Clean it off if you find anything using a battery cleaning brush.
Replace your car’s parts when required
There are specific parts of the car you may have to replace on daily basis. At first, you have to replace your windshield wipers. Doing this is crucial particularly when they make streaks on your windshield. It may seem not relevant but you have to keep in mind that visibility is key when driving. Wipers are easy to replace and they are also quite cheap.
Check your tires and alignment regularly
Again, check your owner’s manual to know information on how often you should have these checked. This is an essential section of preventive maintenance. You have to ensure that your car’s tires wear evenly to make sure that it drives smoothly.
Finally, change spark plugs of your car
The spark plugs may get worn out or get covered in buildup as time goes by. Your engine won’t work as efficiently when this happens. It is also a fairly easy task to check and change your engine won’t work as efficiently. But, you can always go to your mechanic if you don’t want to change them yourself.
How do you keep car maintenance logs?
Following are the 4 ways to keep a car maintenance log;
- Firstly, begin a paper trail. Write down the dates and details of the car maintenance service that your vehicle undergoes. However, you can also type information on your computer or print it and keep it in a folder. But still having an easily accessible paper trail is a common and practical way to keep a car maintenance log.
- Next, download a car maintenance app. There are many apps that will allow you to keep a track of your car.
- Another way is to keep a track of car maintenance is MS Excel. You can use a car maintenance log template to keep track of the dates you have your car serviced, what was done, and how much it was.
- And the last method is to keep a track of the car maintenance log is a reputable and reliable auto repair shop.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How can you track your car maintenance?
Vehicle log maintenance can be formidable. It’s very difficult to keep the schedule of oil changes and brake jobs with so many things going in your life. So, the only thing that helps you to keep the track of your vehicle with regular maintenance reminders, service records, fuel-tracking, and much more is maintenance apps. Here is the list of some maintenance apps;
- CARFAX CAR CARE
- My Car
- Simply Auto
- Auto Care 1
What is routine maintenance on a vehicle?
Routine maintenance is compulsory in order to keep a vehicle running properly. You have to daily maintain the following components of your vehicle;
- Inspect HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning)
- Inspect suspension components.
- Check the tires
- Oil changes and air filters
- Check the brakes.
- Inspection of the engine.