Learning is a lifetime process for everyone. There always new innovation and technology in the market even an expert in the field have to get training on. There comes a need for Training Needs Analysis (TNA) to evaluate the need for training of their employees for skill development.
There is a proper hierarchy system development in most of the businesses. Each level of hierarchy has a different scope of work and required a different level of training. It’s the duty of the human resource department to identify the need for training for each hierarchy level employees of the organization. You may also like Employee Performance Review Templates.
Table of Contents
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is a training need analysis?
A training need analysis is a process that a company goes through in order to determine the training and development needs of its employees. This is because employees can do their job effectively. Several companies or businesses have experts that train their employees on multiple aspects of the business.
We all know that technology has been changing very fast so the employees training and development needs have to be changed. TNA helps you to groom your employees for the next level.
How do you write a training need analysis?
Here are some tips that will help you to write an effective training need analysis;
- Firstly, you have to define why you need to do training need analysis.
- After identifying why you need it then include which people you have to include in the analysis. If you want to get effective results then include the relevant parties.
- Next, never forget that you have to achieve the company goals. This is the first and foremost reason for your training need analysis. During TNA, when you are going to make a decision on the basis of collected data always keep the company goals in front of your mind.
- After that, adopt the trainable skills to meet all your company goals.
- You should prioritize your training. You have to consider specific goals and skills are at a top priority and set training you do take around this.
What are the basic levels of training need analysis?
There are basic three levels of training need analysis. Let us discuss them below;
- Organizational level: Training need analysis at the organizational level is a large-scale level analysis that determines those areas where the employees of the organization don’t have important skills or knowledge. It provides measurable outcomes for training. Hence, it helps the organization to improve the chances of success.
- Operational level: Training need analysis at the operational level identifies the different methods of training that are required to be given to the employees so that you can get a certain level of proficiency. It also assists you to determine the knowledge and skills needed to perform particular jobs in the workplace.
- Individual-level: Training need analysis at the individual level identifies how every employee performs his/her duty. The expected performance and actual performance difference help you to identify the training need. Furthermore, it helps you to analyze the employee’s performance and identify either his/her performance meets the expected level.
What are the different types of training needs?
Generally, there are three types of training needs;
- Knowledge: If you are going to hire young graduated people then analyzing their knowledge is very important.
- Skills: When the young and newly hired employees interact with old employees then their skills are very significant.
- Abilities: This type is really very crucial judging an employee’s ability to make a decision will definitely assist you to make your business more productive.
Importance of Training Needs Analysis Template
Training needs analysis template is a type of gap analysis that is conducted to assess the gap between the available and required knowledge, and skills of employees.
This analysis is conducted before finalizing the training budget of an organization. This analysis uses 7W’s approach to figure out the training need. There aren’t any rigid guidelines to follow for conducting a training needs analysis. The purpose of training assessment should be clear such as for improvement initiative, training calendar, or performance appraisal cycle. You may also check Recruitment Tracker Templates.
- Training helps in manifolds to an organizations’ success.
- A business that doesn’t have proper training policies and doesn’t focus on the development of skills set.
- Their key employee always lags in competition and finally disappears from the competitive market.
- Development businesses focus a lot on the skills development of their potential talent and have hired expert trainers.
- A calendar of the in-house training session is issued at the start of each fiscal year for their employees to pre-plan.
- Choose the best session and timing for their skills enhancement.
Training needs analysis isn’t mean to plan a random training session for employees. In TNA, the manager analyzes the list of the skill set required for the efficient work of his department. Then a list of employees is prepared to assess the skills already present in employees. By analyzing both lists, manages identifies the training gap and sets different training targets for his sub-ordinates.
How to conduct a Training Needs Analysis?
There is a different analysis method for each type of training assessment need. Let’s discuss each with tips on how to do it;
For employee performance appraisal, the performance development plan of employees is constructed to assess the employee goals and targets, performance results, organization future strategies, the role of the employee in the organization, and career aspirations of the employee. Based on this plan the actual development requirement is assessed.
For BMR projects of the organization, required skill sets are identified keeping in view the organization’s goals and targets. For this purpose, the project scope is compared with the employee performance flow chart and the TNA questionnaire is prepared for analysis. You can also free download Employee Profile Templates.
For constructing an organization training calendar, the ongoing projects, future plans, and business trends of the market are monitored. Managers are asked to provide the required technical and personnel skills set for their employees. Development area for employees is identified for the designing training session on such as management, leadership, soft skills, EHS, technical and business skills.