Statement of Purpose examples is required by the students as a reference when they are going to write their own statement of purpose letter. They have to write a Statement of purpose when they are applying for a graduate school course. With the help of examples, they can present themselves as an aspiring contender.
Table of Contents
What is a Statement of Purpose?
Statement of Purpose is the most important part of your admission application. It explains who you are, the purpose of applying, what are the factors which encouraged you to choose that specific career, the reasons why you consider yourself as a qualified candidate, and what are your professional interest and plans. Moreover, it should be well-written because it describes your ability and interest in the field you are selecting. You have to write it in a way that convinces the committee to choose you over others. You may also like Bank Statement Template.
Format of Statement of Purpose:
It is a formal document so it must be well-formatted. The font should be a 12-point size and Times New Roman. There should be 1-inch margins on all sides of the document and 1.5-inch line spacing throughout the document. The length of your document should be of maximum two pages. However, it must be concise but meaningful. The information you will provide in those two pages will be relevant to your admission. Don’t include irrelevant information.
How to write a Statement of Purpose?
- In the first paragraph, which is an introductory paragraph, introduce yourself with a short paragraph. Then, state your current objective which related to the field you are aspiring for. All the information you will provide in this paragraph should be related to the program you are applying for. For this purpose, you have to do thorough research on the program.
- In the second paragraph, explain the reasons why you are applying for the specific field. At first, you have to define your objective and background related to the program. Don’t provide too general reasons as they confuse the committee on your purpose. Moreover, you have to convince the admission officer that you are the best choice by specifying the reasons as much as you can.
- Next, there comes a third paragraph where you have to state the personal experiences that are related to the field of study you want. Mention your past jobs, projects, internships, etc. Then, in the fourth paragraph, state how your past experience helped you to decide on that particular field for graduate studies. But you have to keep this section precise, don’t narrate long stories.
- After that, the next paragraph i.e. the closing paragraph explains your long-term objectives. When writing about this topic, you have to be very specific and clear. Additionally, in the starting paragraph you will state your present desires and goals while in the concluding paragraph, you will discuss what you want to achieve in the future.
Tips for preparing effective content for the Statement of Purpose:
- At first, instead of using statements write stories because stories are better remembered than statements.
- The stories you will write in your document acts as a source of information about you. Therefore, it must contain measurable quantities rather than just stories. Also, you should add more depth to your statement so that readers understand it better.
- You should be specific in your writing. Don’t provide irrelevant information in order to impress the admission officers. Everything you will explain must have supporting details. Be direct and straight to the point but explains things clearly.
- Don’t send a basic template to multiple recipients. You must have to change the relevant names and details. However, the remaining document would be the same.
- Use a formal but conversational tone because it should read like a story. Add some uniqueness to it. You should use a conversational tone but avoid using casual language.
- With the help of a statement of purpose, you can communicate your personality, attitude, and character to the reader. It should be written in the form of a story and has a factual basis. Don’t create stories on your own.
- One of the benefits of this document is that it provides you an opportunity to share some problems you have faced in the past. Your issues would be your academic background, a gap in the career, etc. In this section, you have to be as honest as possible. In addition, state your issues in a mature way. Also, highlights that what you have learned from these experiences.
- After writing your statement of purpose, request your family and friends to proofread it. Always bear in mind that your statement must speak you as one person. You should also check the Profit and Loss Statement Template.
In conclusion, the Statement of Purpose examples is the best references for the students in order to write an effective statement of purpose. Your statement should be well-structured and grammatically correct. It must explain who you are, your academic background, your interest in a selected field, your reasons for applying, and your future plans.