SMART goals templates are used for goals setting that motivate the people to achieve what they want. But you have to set SMART goals to make sure about their success. SMART goal setting provides meaning to your wants and clear framework for managing and defining them. Moreover, by setting SMART goal you have clear direction to act to achieve the objectives and goals you have set. They are used by anywhere, by anyone, and without any requirement of training.
Table of Contents
What are SMART goals?
In 1981, George T. Doran introduced SMART goal setting in his research paper. He published a paper named as “S.M.A.R.T. Way to Write to Management’s Goals and Objectives.” Following is the explanation to the SMART acronym;
In SMART goal setting, ‘S’ means specific. It means you have to be specific about the approach. By specific means you have to be answerable to all the ‘W’ questions.
- What: you should know what exactly you want to achieve.
- Why: you must indicate the reason for the goal.
- Who: entities that will be involved in achieving it.
- When: sets a time frame. This is because the time bound section will encourage you to do things rapidly.
- Where: you should determine the location of the relevant event that where it will be happened.
- Which: you must identify the requirements for the goal that either your goal is realistic or not.
The “M” in SMART goals stands for measurable and this element helps you in measuring the progress and performance. You need to select the metrics to see either or not you require the goal. By measuring, you can make your goal more tangible. Furthermore, it provides a way to measure progress. For the ease of completing the project, you should set milestones on the basis of the length of the project.
A- Attainable or Achievable:
This element indicates that a goal is essential to you and you have to attain or achieve it. To achieve it, you have required some skills and a different attitude. So, demonstrate clearly how you can achieve the goal and what skills you require to make it easily achievable.
R- Realistic or Relevant:
Your goals should be realistic. Don’t form the goals that aren’t achievable or relevant at all. Keep in mind that if your goals are realistic then you or your team can easily achieve them.
T- Time bound:
Your goals must be time bound. There are chances that your goals cannot succeed in anyway if they lack realistic timing. Setting a time frame is imperative to achieve the goal. This will also generate a sense of urgency and determination to complete the work. You should also check Savings Goal Tracker Templates.
Reasons for SMART goals setting:
Let us discuss some reasons for SMART goals setting;
- They have such an appeal that allows you to pay attention well. At a time, you can pay attention and just look at one thing rather than looking at many things. There are a lot of tasks you have to do every day and that may divert your attention but by setting goals you can focus well.
- Without setting goals, you are walking on a road where you do not know your destination. On the other hand, when you set goals it provides you a clear way as where you need to go. You can lead towards the path of success by knowing what you really want. However, you should make sure that your goals are not ambiguous. For the explanation of your goal, select the words that excite and motivate you towards working for it.
- They determine and remind you of your priorities. When you set a goal, you do not stray away because you are regularly reminded about priorities. You should identify your priorities to accomplish your goals.
- If you set SMART goals, you can successfully manage your time. During sating goals, you set priorities too. In this way, you work through priorities and complete them in a timely manner. This ultimately trains you to manage time.
How to write a SMART goal?
Let us discuss step-by-step how to write a SMART goal;
- At first, you have to provide a summary to your goal. You must write down your goals clearly because often they are quite unclear for people. In driving you towards your goal, clarity plays a huge role. Formulate your goal by keeping the SMART criterion in mind.
- The next step is classifying your goals. Many people don’t know how to classify goals. Basically, classifying means categorizing the goals. This means you have to see what can assist you best in achieving your goal. So, for clarifying goals, categorizing helps you a lot.
- After narrowing down your goals, there is no need to waste time in setting a value to get to work. You can seem it difficult in terms of achieving but it can encourage you to achieve it. To add the value and clarity to the goal, setting a numeric goal is important.
- Every goal needs a deadline. By having a length of time will help you reach your goal. The time and date will assist you in figuring out the extent. This must be committed towards the project.
- Nothing can go smooth either in business or anything else. There is definitely something that will stop you in this litigious society. Therefore, a marketer must determine the threats the potential threats and challenges that can come in his way. You may also check Financial Projections Templates.
In conclusion, a SMART goal setting template is an essential goal to set the right goals for your task and eliminate the hard work. Be realistic and be positive about achieving your goals. SMART criterion for goal setting makes sure that goals are attainable and reasonable. This criterion encourage you to address specific issues regarding the goals.