Shipping goods from one place to another via any mean of transportation require essential documentation for information and security purposes. What is the shipping label template? How they are useful? What are the various types of shipping labels and how these are created? These questions will be briefly answered in this informative article.
These shipping labels are a type of identification used to present several types of information about the goods under transition from one place to another. These labels are useful in a number of ways and the types of shipping labels totally depend on the mean of transportation, nature of goods, and industry norms. You may also like maintenance checklist templates.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is the shipping label?
- 2 What should you include on a shipping label?
- 3 How to create a simple Shipping Labels Template?
- 4 Types of Shipping Label Templates
- 5 The different sizes of shipping and package labels:
- 6 Why do you require a shipping label template?
- 7 The importance of shipping labels:
- 8 How does shipping label work?
- 9 The advantages of using a shipping label template:
- 10 How to get a label template in Word?
- 11 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- 12 How do you create a prepaid FedEx shipping label?
- 13 How do you create shipping labels?
What is the shipping label?
Shipping labels are those pieces of key information for a carrier to transport a package from their start destination to its end destination. This key information involves postal code, country, tracking number, date, package quantity, and Ship Street, city, and state. Ship labels can define the contents, especially if they are for international shipments.
Every label is unique and you can’t use old labels again. A new label should make for each delivery.
What should you include on a shipping label?
The following information you have to include on a shipping label.
- Postal code
- Country name
- Tracking number
- Package quantity
- Shipping barcode
- Shipping class.
- City and state name.
How to create a simple Shipping Labels Template?
Keep in view the importance and uses of shipping labels. It’s really important to make a label that presents clear information in the minimum possible words.
Shipping labels help in the identification of package origin and destination. It helps to identify the nature of products including weight, fragility, and sensitivity. These are also used to identify the products. Here are a few simple steps to make a simple shipping label template word file including a shipping package label template, product shipping label template, and precautionary label template. You may also check the punch card template.
- To make package shipping labels, write down the information such as attention, addresses, and phone numbers for origin and destination respectively.
- Make a table to present product information such as product name, a basic parameter for identification, and gross weight.
- Add tracking numbers and codes for shipping tracking purposes.
- Make a round circle or rectangle and add the product name, and metrics parameter inside to make a simple product shipping label.
- Precautionary labels are also made using simple graphical shapes.
- As a border and having an icon of the precaution inside such as broken glass to show the fragile nature of the product.
- These templates are universal and easily available on the internet.
Shipping labels are looks like tiny piece of paper or sticker, but it serves a vital purpose to present information about the origin and destination of the packages.
These labels are understandable by humans as well as sensors such as bar code readers. Packages without shipping labels are considered as lost packages that are mishandled and will ultimately bring bad customer experience to brand loyalty.
Types of Shipping Label Templates
There are a variety of shipping labels used to serve different purposes. Such as informative shipping labels that present detailed information about the source and the destination such as names, addresses, phone numbers, items detail, gross weight of the package, courier category, shipment tracking number, and codes for scanners. These shipping labels are also known as address label templates or mailing label templates.
There are some products specific shipping labels as well that allows the buyer to identify the different products that apparently look similar. For example, in the yarn or fabric industry. Different count yarn apparently looks the same. Yarn suppliers use product identification labels on the cartons or pallets to help their buyers identify what parameters yarn is inside those. You should also check Wine Label Templates.
Similarly, precautionary labels are also used on the shipment packing to help the forwarder and carrier staff understand the nature of the product either it is fragile, not to tilt, to keep dry and etc.
The different sizes of shipping and package labels:
Following are the different sizes of shipping and package label templates;
In the USA, the letter size is the most commonly used standard size. Its dimensions are 8.5″ x 11″. These sheets include various labels with varying sizes. Include various labels as long as they fit into the paper size. Usually, schools, businesses, and churches use the letter size.
This is also considered a standard size in the country, but less popular than the letter size. 8.5″ x 14″ are its dimensions.
This standard size isn’t used frequently in the US. 11″ x 17″ are its dimensions. Unfortunately, if you only have a small office printer, you cannot print this size.
For shipping labels, this is an international standard size. It has almost the same dimensions just like the letter-sized label. When shipping items to other countries, use this.
This is another international standard size likewise the A4 and having dimensions of 420mm x 294mm. Two A4s sheets are placed side by side in it.
Why do you require a shipping label template?
A shipping or package label template is important to contain information regarding the product you’re shipping out. This information is important all throughout the supply chain. The movement of your thing with this all the way to your customer’s doorstep improves.
The required information is mentioned in the label that assists both machines and men to understand the origin of the customer’s products and its destination. The purpose and design of this label are highly efficient. You should also have to select the accurate template for your business as well as it depends upon your requirements.
You can download a shipping return label template. After that, personalize them or create your own from scratch. Making labels for all types of shipping requires to make it easier to conduct your business. This template is important as shipping is one of the most common business functions in many organizations.
The importance of shipping labels:
Shipping labels are important for any business that sells and ship goods but they are often overlooked. They are connections among humans and the automated network that are included in shipping packages. Labels should be clear and simple. The electronic scanners must read them easily. This way, the shipping process becomes quick and reduces computer errors relevant to poorly labeled packages.
Many businesses, particularly recently developed ones, don’t take into consideration the significance of establishing a good system for making shipping labels. But, this is an important section of any business that uses shipping services.
How does shipping label work?
The shipping labels address to the shipping service the destination of a package. In case, there is an issue or the package can be returned to the sender, the label also states the origin of the package so the sender can be notified. The name and address of the sender and receiver of the package are mentioned in the label.
Generally, the shipping service provider will scan a package. This is because it moves along the shipping route and allows both the sender and receiver to scan the package and know when to expect delivery. Many times throughout the route, most shipping services scan the shipping label as it can give an accurate expected date of delivery. Every created shipping label is unique to forbid confusion of packages.
The advantages of using a shipping label template:
Your customer’s life becomes easier by using a shipping label template. Also, it helps your business in growing. It is an effective tool that assists customers in understanding the requirements they have. Furthermore, this leads them to purchase more often. Let us discuss below some benefits of using this template;
- The shipping label template assists with inventory management and shipping costs.
- It enables for easy modifications on products being shipped.
- Provide customers the chance to review their order before shipment.
- Without hassle, the customers can return items.
- Since you can track inventory through the template so it helps with custom orders.
How to get a label template in Word?
You can design your own shipping and return label templates quickly and easily in case you know how to use Microsoft Word. At first, you have to get the free shipping label template in Word. Follow the below steps to do this;
- Click the Mailings tab
- Click on Labels
- Choose Options
- Click New Label
After that, you have to enter the name and measurements of your new template. You can receive this detail from label manufacturers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How do you create a prepaid FedEx shipping label?
Below are the steps to create a prepaid shipping label with FedEx;
Step#1: Firstly, sign in to your FedEx account. If you don’t have a FedEx account then register online.
Step#2: After signing in, click on ‘create shipment’ in the shipping tab.
Step#3: Select ‘prepare shipment’ in the FedEx ship manager. Then, click on ‘create return shipment’.
Step#4: Next, enter your business and customer’s information in the return package.
Step#5: According to your need, select the return label type from the available options.
Step#6: Then, select your preferred return shipping method in the Select Package Type.
Step#7: Define the Package type either it’s a box, tube, or envelope.
Step#8: Take a view of your billing information and then confirm it.
Step#9: Also, take a view of the shipping information and confirm it. Then, click on the ‘Ship Button’ to complete the process.
How do you create shipping labels?
During order processing, shipping labels are usually created. Creating your own template and fill out a label by hand isn’t possible. You have to follow the carrier requirements for creating a shipping label. You can either visit the local post office to purchase a label there or arrange the label on your own.
Buying labels from the local post office will be expensive.
On the other hand, creating your own shipping labels is more beneficial. This is because it contains discounts on postage and scheduling package pickups rather than having to wait at the office. Let us discuss how you can arrange your own shipping labels;
- You can create your labels online by using the carrier’s online tools. Every carrier contains its own online tool where you can make shipping labels that fit their certain requirements. You should visit their website and fill out the label template. And, then download the filled template for print out.
- Another method, you can use is shipping labels software. It enables you to download the carrier shipping label template and fill out it locally on your computer. It will also enable you to customize the process and has the ability to work offline.
- The last method is to automatically gather order information from various platforms and carriers to fill in forms speedily and efficiently with a shipping tool. An efficient tool will directly connect with the store, collect the order information that is needed for the shipping label, and then automatically create a label in an exact template.