A teacher resignation letter has to be submitted by the teacher if he/she is planning to resign from his/her teaching job. This resignation letter officially informs the school’s administrators about your decision. The reason behind your resignation doesn’t matter; you must have to submit this letter to the principal and the school administrator.
Table of Contents
Components of a teacher resignation letter:
This component appears at the top of the letter. You should include the following information here;
- Your name and contact details
- The name and the position of the person you are writing the letter to
- The address of the school
- The date when you wrote the letter
You should use the formal salutation like ‘respected sir/madam’ to address the person you are writing letter to.
Your introduction paragraph should be brief and simple. Here you have to state your intent, the position you hold, and when you have decided to implement your resignation. However, it is important to state when you plan to resign if you are planning to leave the school in the middle of the academic year.
In this section, you have to provide the reason of your resignation. If the reason behind your resignation is that you are joining another job then explain it in professional way. You should use professional and positive tone in your letter because administration keeps it on file.
Moreover, if there are some personal reasons for writing this letter, explain them as long as you feel comfortable with it. But, if you don’t want to explain your personal reasons, you can just simply state that you are leaving due to some personal reasons.
Here, you can also express your gratitude and appreciation to the person you are writing the letter. Also, keep it simple and include a single or two statements that state how happy you were during working at the school.
In the end, conclude your letter by a sign off statement then followed by your full name and your signature. In addition, you can also state that you are always in touch in case they need help from you.
How to compose an effective teacher resignation letter?
Below are some tips that will help you in composing a professional and clear resignation letter;
- At first, keep your letter to the point and concise. Include all the most information that we have discussed above. Don’t include negative information that might leave negative impact on the receiver.
- When you are composing a letter either for another job or your reason is more personal in nature, you must have to give the school enough notice. If you leave without providing enough notice then it would be very difficult for the institution to cope.
- Whatever the reason of your resignation, never include your frustration and negativity in the letter. You should try to remain positive. In this way, you can receive smoother transition and positive response from your school.
- Before submitting the resignation letter, you must have a meeting with your principal or school administrator. You can further explain your reasons for resignation in the meeting. Also, you have to stay professional during your exit interview. If your principal gives you constructive criticism still you have to accept it and learn from it.
- Ensure that you have thought everything carefully before submitting your letter. You should provide solid reason for resignation if you are leaving in the middle of the school year.
Things to avoid:
Following are the most common mistakes that people can usually make when writing resignation letter;
Rude or negative comments:
Even though you didn’t well-treated by your school, you shouldn’t write any negative comment about them. This is an official document and your school keeps it on record. However, you are leaving the institution there is no need to spread any negativity. You have to leave on a good note and pay attention on the purpose of the letter and nothing else.
It doesn’t matter how close you are with the person you are writing the letter. You shouldn’t use improper language. Keep in mind that you have to maintain professionalism at all times so don’t get too comfortable.
Spelling and grammatical errors:
Before submitting the letter, proofread your letter thoroughly. Remove spelling and grammatical errors if any. You can also ask other people to proofread your letter.
Mentioning the salary:
If you are happy to leave then it doesn’t mean to mention the salary that you will receive from your new job. Don’t provide information about your new job as receiver can take this information in a negative way. You should also check Two Weeks Notice Letters & Resignation Templates.
Steps to properly resign from teaching:
Follow the below-mentioned steps to properly resign from teaching;
- Firstly, ensure that you have a new job in the work and your chances of getting hired are higher. This allows you to make smooth transition between jobs. This is because you have to survive without income for a particular period of time.
- The next step is to speak to your principal about your intention. The conversation between you and the principal is the important part of the whole process.
- Then, submit your resignation letter you have composed.
- In the end, file your resignation with the school board who handles resignation.
In conclusion, a teacher resignation letter is a formal document that every teacher has to submit if he/she planning to resign from his/her teaching job. You must include a statement that declares your intent to resign. Provide genuine reason for your resignation especially if you are leaving in the middle of academic year. Additionally, keep your tone professional and positive throughout the letter.