A maintenance report form is an essential tool that guides the maintenance personnel how to perform maintenance procedures. This report form contains a continuous process of checking, servicing, and repairing operating equipment. It ensures that businesses operates smoothly without unwanted interruptions.
Table of Contents
- Benefits of using maintenance report form:
- How to create a maintenance report form?
- How to analyze the maintenance report form?
- Reasons for breakdown of machines or equipment:
Benefits of using maintenance report form:
Below are some benefits of using such a document;
- It assists in maintaining reliability. It means operating equipment is always in working condition and available when needed.
- Due to regular checkups, it makes sure safety by preventing unexpected risks.
- It identifies the defects and their sudden repairs. Thus, this can save the company both money and time in the long run.
- It helps in good recordkeeping. You may also like Building Maintenance Checklist Template.
How to create a maintenance report form?
Let us discuss step-by-step how to create a maintenance report form;
Make a strategy:
You have to make a strategy that what you want to place in the form first. The maintenance planner must meet with all the team that has performed the same job last time. Then, write down the steps. This acts as a rough outline of the next project.
This is the most important step due to several reasons. Sometimes a well-written plan gets misunderstood or misread but by inserting pictures you can show facts. However, you can also record the procedure on video because this one would be even better. For this section, supervisors aren’t the best choice, the reliability engineers, the clerk, or the scheduler can fill the position.
Note down the things:
The planner should write down the actions taken step-by-step. He should assume that he is writing the planner for a person who doesn’t know anything. The written procedure should be accurate so that the imaginary person can do his job successfully by following the guidelines mention in the maintenance report form. Additionally, the planner not just includes what is being currently done but also finds different ways to improve things. In this way, you can do the job more smoothly and efficiently in the future.
Make a list of parts:
The reader of the report should need a complete list of all the parts as a guide.
Make lists for experts, supplies, and tools:
You should also include special stands or jigs in your maintenance report form. Note down any material shortages. Do the same thing for personnel.
Include relevant diagrams and drawings to help the technician perform his job.
After compiling all the essential information, you are ready to make the maintenance report form. Also, you should do this in the presence of whole team.
How to analyze the maintenance report form?
By using this document, you should determine the problem of equipment regularly. It assists you in identifying what needs fixing and what still works. Here are some steps on how to analyzing the report;
- With the help of this document, you can estimate the total cost of maintenance. Don’t estimate the cost values for short periods because some equipment requires heavy maintenance costs during particular times of the year. Search for the machinery who is the most expensive to maintain. In the end, review the cost and filter out those pieces of equipment that seem to be out of place.
- Review the duration of equipment downtime for the previous year. There might also be unavailability of parts. Also, some of the maintenance personnel got promote to other jobs. Due to these reasons, downtime is higher for some equipment because it takes a long time to repair. So, you should filter out these pieces of equipment.
- Next, you should also review the history of maintenance work requests and complaints. Find out the assets that registered many requests or complaints.
- Equipment statistics use for specific purposes. But you can’t compare the statistics of many types of equipment. However, statistics of similar equipment can happen.
Reasons for breakdown of machines or equipment:
Near the end of life:
You can keep equipment running through constant maintenance but at some times it requires the high cost to continue doing so. Maintenance can take a beating due to the following reasons;
- Equipment’s internal fatigue,
- Non-availability of parts,
- Insufficient maintenance skills
Poor maintenance process:
Equipment can be affected badly if you don’t maintain them regularly. Moreover, by using poor quality supplies or if the technicians don’t know how to do their jobs correctly your equipment can be affected.
When these circumstances happen, review the maintenance report form. Check is the technician replaces the same parts and checks any missed preventive schedules.
Unproductive operational practices:
It means that operators aren’t using your equipment correctly. You should take feedback from maintenance personnel that may show operator errors. Hence, if you change the operator it may help with the problem. If you maintain them properly and still they don’t work well then it could be an indication of overloading. In such a situation, you have to buy new machines. You can also make changes in operation flows to reduce overload.
Poorly designed equipment:
When your equipment constantly fails to work then the fault is in the machine. If you have similar machines and they all have same failure then issue could be in its construction. Search out either the other companies using such equipment experience the same issue or not. If so, meet with manufacturer to deal with these issues.
Your equipment can’t work well if didn’t install your equipment correctly. During the initial setup, it could be damaged. Furthermore, it can be similar to equipment with poor construction. You should also check Maintenance Checklist Templates.
In conclusion, a maintenance report form is a helpful tool that state that how to perform a maintenance procedure. It should be well-written, detailed, and specific. It must conation step-by-step guideline so that technician can do the maintenance successfully just by reading the document and following the contents. Additionally, this document also makes sure that operating equipment is always in working condition and available when require.