An equipment maintenance log template is used to keep track of business property and to monitor services and equipment. This log is used to ensure that they will retain their value in the future. Usually, large companies and factories use this log as it contains relevant information for different purposes.
Table of Contents
- 1 Different types of maintenance logs:
- 2 The benefits of using equipment maintenance log:
- 3 The importance of equipment maintenance:
- 4 What to consider while creating an equipment maintenance log?
- 5 Keeping track of equipment maintenance logs:
- 6 Some tips for equipment maintenance:
- 7 Conclusion:
Different types of maintenance logs:
It is very important for company and business establishments to keep a maintenance log. It is a ready source of information that contains information about equipment, employees, on-going projects, completed projects, and much more.
The people have dealings with company policies will be familiar with this type of log. It typically includes the important data about an employee like their names, positions, current job assignments, performances, job accomplishments, and scheduled assignments.
Project logs give information about the company’s current projects. This type of log will contain their current status and their expected time of completion that assists the company in making adjustments.
Maintenance schedule logs:
For all the undergoing projects, this log is a type of timetable in the company. It contains all those projects that have already accomplished.
Machinery maintenance logs:
Machinery maintenance logs include information about scheduled maintenance and apply to the machines used in the company. On a daily basis, you can use different types of machines and equipment.
The benefits of using equipment maintenance log:
A good equipment service log is used by the companies who are engaged in renting out equipment. In order to keep track of the conditions, functioning, and maintenance of the equipment, they use it. This document is the bloodline of their business. Moreover, the benefits of keeping a machinery maintenance log are following;
- This log assists in preventing costly repair work due to poor maintenance. The hired pieces of equipment are constantly subjected to wear and tear. Therefore, after every rental, you should conduct a maintenance check. This way, you can prevent minor damages before they get worse. In the equipment service log, you should include information regarding each check-up or repair. This makes sure that for the next rental the equipment is always in good shape.
- For equipment maintenance, it helps in establishing specialized programs. Usually, equipment when rented out goes to varied working conditions. Each of the equipment needs a different maintenance check-up and you have keep track of the data from these check-ups all the time. This data assists you in identifying the type of maintenance work required for each piece of the equipment.
- It helps in protecting any issues related to warranty claims. When dealing with warranty claims, documentation of maintenance work is an important factor. Include information about all maintenance work like exact dates and time of the repairs as well as what repairs done. For any warranty claims, this helps in determining the business’s rights.
- This document increases the safety of the machine and equipment operators. In the work area, well-maintained equipment is less likely to cause accidents. You have to avoid these accidents in the first place. This log keeps track of the equipment’s health just like a patient’s file. They let you know what kind of maintenance you should perform. Furthermore, this is essential to make sure the people’s safety in the work environment.
- For machines and equipment, it assists in keeping track of the one accountable. It allows you to keep track of all operators who handled the machine. With the help of log, you can remind operators to take care of their equipment.
- The resale value of your equipment improves by having equipment maintenance log. The resale value of well-maintained equipment is always high. The log will act as evidence for the equipment high-maintenance to prospective buyers.
The importance of equipment maintenance:
Here is the importance of equipment maintenance;
- Equipment maintenance prevents the breakdown of your equipment. Equipment breaking down requires repairing. You can do this by yourself or hire an employee or specialist to do it. However, equipment will break down any time and when it does, it will disturb continuous service.
While incorporating preventive maintenance into your system, you can avoid these catastrophes. Check-up of your equipment on daily basis can pinpoint any problems before they even occur.
- In your equipment, any potential problems that may arise, daily check-ups will decrease. For instance, when you do regular check-ups of your kitchen equipment, this can lessen the risk of fire incidents.
Similarly, it will apply to your wear and tear equipment. You should hire specialists who can easily spot damages. Then, you can repair or replace them and this saves you time and money.
- Equipment maintenance saves you a lot of money. The expenses are astronomical when it comes to industrial equipment. Kitchen equipment are also costly to repair and costly to replace. For a certain user, you should make the most of the equipment to recover its costs. Thus, proper maintenance is a great way to achieve this.
The equipment that is poorly maintained is less efficient and productive. This way, it manifests itself in higher energy usage. Often, you will receive higher electric bills. When your equipment is properly maintained, you can avoid such predicaments.
- When we don’t change our car’s motor oil, we all have experienced what happens. Only by thinking the resulting problems, it gives us headache. This will also apply to poorly maintained equipment in analogy.
Your equipment will deteriorate faster without that regular maintenance. In the long-run, it requires high cost to maintain.
What to consider while creating an equipment maintenance log?
Your equipment should be properly maintained. It’s a fact that well-maintained equipment will last for longer periods. Create your own equipment maintenance log that includes the following details;
- The machine or equipment name
- The serial number
- The manufacturer and all of the contact information
- The date when you bought it
- The date when first used it
- The individual responsible for it
In the equipment service log, you should include all maintenance details. You should keep track of essential details such as the cleaning materials used, parts that you require to replace or repair, and more.
Keeping track of equipment maintenance logs:
Here is the step-by-step guide regarding properly proceed with equipment maintenance recordkeeping;
- Gather all equipment maintenance schedules
- Arrange them by frequency of inspection
- Take a print of the equipment maintenance form
- Allocate people to do the inspection
- The logbook is passed by the technicians to the next shift
- The equipment maintenance form is retrieved
- Record the inspections performed
- Check the pieces of equipment that require attention on the basis of the reports
- Keep the equipment maintenance log in a safe place
Some tips for equipment maintenance:
Enhanced productivity and profitability is the most important reason for equipment maintenance. It would be very difficult to keep work progress on track with no proper maintenance. Here are some tips to follow for equipment maintenance;
- Keep track of your equipment by using an equipment maintenance log. It is essential to make daily system checks in a construction business. Therefore, you should keep maintenance of your software and machine control on a daily basis.
- You should maintain your maintenance schedules as equipment needs maintenance. When equipment pieces undergo regular serviced check-ups, their performance value will get maximized. Also, they will operate at great performance levels.
- It is important to keep your construction always in their peak condition and for this, keep your construction software updated. Install your updates as soon as they come out and these updates are free. Updates are usually released by software providers to fix certain problems.
- You should also get advice from trained operators at the beginning of the purchase. The operators use, store, transport the equipment, and identify any problems early.
- When confronted with new equipment problems, even the efficient operator at times can be at a loss. You may need external assistance and for this, you must maintain cordial relations with the supplier or dealer of the equipment.
In conclusion, the equipment maintenance log template is a useful tool that keeps track of business property. This document contains all the necessary information regarding your equipment maintenance. However, some companies sometimes ignore preventive maintenance as they don’t know that spending some time can save the company more money in the long-run. In simple words, equipment maintenance enhances productivity and profitability.