An identification card or ID card is a document issued by the authority as proof of the person’s identity. It includes all the important essential details about the person relevant to the purpose of the card.
Moreover, there are different types of identification cards issued by different authorities to show the identity of the cardholder. The size of the ID card is a small credit card form.
The most common Identity card is issued by the countries to show the citizenship and nationality of the person. It is a formal document that is compulsory in many countries. You may also like an index card template.
Almost all types of the card contain the name and photo ID of the cardholder. However, the other information that is present on the card depends on the relevance and use of cards. Therefore, different ID card templates used for different types of identity cards.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is an ID card?
- 2 How do you create an ID card?
- 3 Most Common Types of ID Card Templates
- 4 ID card for Student:
- 5 ID card for Employee:
- 6 ID card for Healthcare Department:
- 7 How to make an ID Card Template?
- 8 The purpose of identity card:
- 9 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- 10 What is the size of an ID card?
- 11 How do I make my own ID badge?
- 12 What do you need to get an ID?
What is an ID card?
An ID card (also known as an identity document or a piece of identification) is a document that describes a person’s identity. It includes a person’s full name, age, address, the color of hair and eyes, and his/her photograph.
How do you create an ID card?
Here are some steps that will help you to create your own ID card;
Step#1: Firstly, organize your card. Think about the aim of your card, how many cards you want, and what type of design you want to use.
Step#2: After that, visit a website that creates ID cards. There are several online ID creation services to select from.
Step#3: Then, select a template if you want to use it. If you select a template it will save your time and effort by pre-selecting the design for you. However, if you don’t like any template then contact the ID printing service for creating a custom design.
Step#4: Select the options for both the front and back of the ID card. These options may include such as orientation, text font, background color or picture, lamination, holograph, etc.
Step#5: Then select a picture that you want to include on the ID card.
Step#6: Next, decide if you want to use a magnetic stripe or bar code. However, inserting a magnetic stripe or bar code on the front and back of the ID card is a great way to store information.
Step#7: For the ordering and printing process, select accessories. You can also order a lanyard, clip, or badge holder along with your ID card for protection and to carry the card. Also, decide how many copies you need.
Step#8: After that, decide the shipping method. You can select between standard or expedited shipping.
Step#9: In the end, enter your payment information. And, review your card completely before ordering.
Most Common Types of ID Card Templates
There are different types of ID cards we carry in our daily life. The most common ones that are issued by the government authorities to their citizens are the National Identity Card (NIC), Passport, and Driving License.
Moreover, some identity cards are issued by the private authorities to show the membership of the cardholder. Such as Bank Cards, Student Card, Club Membership Card, etc.
The detail present on the card is purely related to the type of card. However, all the cards contain the name and photo ID of the cardholder.
Moreover, the following information is present on the different cards as per the nature of the ID card. You should also check the punch card template.
- Name of the Card Holder
- Name of the Father / Guardian
- Date of Birth
- National Identity Number
- Material Status
- Permanent or Temporary Address
- Phone Number
- Enrollment Number
- Membership Status
- Membership Plan
- Date of Issuance
- Date of Expiry
- Name of the Issuing Authority
- Logo or Trademark of the Issuing Authority
- Signature of the Authority
ID card for Student:
- The ID card for student is usually issued by the school, college or university.
- It acts as evidence of a student’s identity, age, and library privilege. The ID card is considered as the main evidence of identity as a student during their study period.
- Student identity includes details regarding students like their name, photo, contact information, and the signature of the student are mentioned.
- The student ID card is important inside the school as well as outside the school.
ID card for Employee:
- An ID card for employees is important for a security point of view in order to determine the people who are working in the office.
- The identification and creating a professional environment is the purpose of this card.
- ID card for employee includes basic details of the employee. This contains the name of the employee, a photo, designation, employee id, and other relevant details are included.
- ID cards assists in making a difference among the visitors and the employees. In case, any person wears an identity card, it shows that they have permission to be there.
- It also includes the contact information of employees. A medical emergency number should also include.
ID card for Healthcare Department:
Identification of the staff members, in the health department, is important for the hospital and for the patient.
How to make an ID Card Template?
There are hundreds of online platforms available having tons of ID card templates for different purposes. These templates can be customized online, via simple and professional tools.
However, the easiest to edit and most customizable format of the ID card template is in MS office suite tools. Most of the ID cards are printed on both sides. These are like business or visiting cards. Therefore, the front side contains the details about the membership of the cardholder. While the details of the company or service provider are written on the backside of the card.
The national identity card is issued by the government. This card is used everywhere as proof of nationality. It contains information that can be biometrically verified from government databases. It has a picture, name, father’s name, gender, and NIC number on the front end. While the address of the cardholder, issue, and expiry date is written on the backside. You can also free download the birthday card template.
The name and photo ID of the cardholder is almost necessary on all the cards that have to be used to show someone as proof of the identity of the cardholder.
However, a card such as a bank card doesn’t have a similar purpose that why they don’t contain any photo ID of the cardholder.
The purpose of identity card:
- The identity card serves the main purpose of identification. It proves very helpful in determining a person in an office, school, or any other place.
- The parking lots, offices, specific buildings where only authorized persons can enter, an identity card is used to gain access to them.
- The identity card includes the contact information of that person in case of any emergency.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the size of an ID card?
The standard size of an ID card (CR-80 card) is 3.375″ x 2.125″. The other ID card sizes use the CR-80 format however they have other common ID sizes.
CR-50 cards have 3.5 inches by 1.75 inches in size. These cards are used for access control for hotel rooms.
CR-79 cards are slightly smaller than CR-80 cards and measure 3.303 inches by 2.051 inches. These cards are used for clamshell proximity.
CR-100 cards are quite popular and measure 3.88 inches by 2.63 inches. These cards are used by conventions, trade shows, and other situations.
How do I make my own ID badge?
Following are the steps on how to make your own ID badge;
- At first, consider your needs. Think about the type of card you need to create.
- Secondly, buy a photo ID system.
- Next, install the ID software on your computer. After that set up the printer.
- Then, make the card.
- After creating your card print it.
What do you need to get an ID?
To get a state ID card most states need the following;
- An application form
- Proof of US citizenship
- Proof of state residency
- Social security number
- Your thumbprint
- Your picture
- And a small fee.