A firearm bill of sale template is a document used to record the transfer of ownership a handgun, rifle, or shotgun. This document indicates that the seller agrees to transfer ownership of a firearm to the purchaser in exchange for a certain amount of money. It protects both the seller and the buyer from liability or fraud.
A firearm bill of sale provides written proof of the various conditions. It ensures that a transaction actually occurred. It means that the other party cannot claim theft or that they never received the gun. Moreover, it also makes sure that the firearm is truly belonged to the seller and was not stolen. The bill of sale includes all essential details about the gun such as model, year, the document serial number, etc. It also specifies how the seller made promises.
Table of Contents
How to write a firearm bill of sale?
Here are the steps to write a firearm bill of sale;
At the top of the page, write the date that should be used to discuss this paperwork.
- Buyer’s name: Print the gun buyer full name in this section.
- Buyer’s address: provide the legal address of the gun purchaser that is appeared on his or her State I.D. like driver’s license.
- Seller’s name: mention the full name of the firearm dealer or seller. If seller is a business entity then include the entity’s entire name including any applicable status suffix.
- Seller’s address: here, include the legal address or business address of the firearms seller.
- Make: The manufacturer of the firearm being purchased must be displayed. It assists in identifying the concerned gun.
- Type/model: The firearm type or model should be decoded with a visual inspection or its manufacturer’s details.
- Caliber: The caliber, the diameter of the gun should be reported in mm (millimeter).
- Serial number (SN): In many states, it is mandatory to mention the serial number of the firearm on the bill of sale. By including this information, it will be clearly identified the piece being sold to future reviewers of this paperwork. The serial number is basically found on a gun’s handle. However, it can be located on the slide or trigger guard. If the sold gun has been rebuilt and displays more than one serial number then make sure to note this part.
- Payment amount: the dollar amount the seller requires to transfer the ownership of the gun to the buyer should be included here. It is important to mention the full value or original asking price for the gun.
- Payment date: mention the date when the Firearms Buyer must submit payment to the Seller. It can be the same as this document date. In the checkbox, describes when the Firearms Buyer must pay for the gun being sold.
- Payment options: state how a sum of money delivered whether by check, money order, credit card, cash, or wire transfer. It is always suggested to avoid cash. During transferring ownership of a firearm, establish as much of a paper trail as possible. In case, the ownership of the firearm will transfer as a gift then use this document to generate such a fact by choosing the appropriate checkbox statement. You should also check Motorcycle Bill of Sale Form.
- Buyer’s signature: the buyer who will assume ownership of the firearm must sign this bill to prove his or her participation in this transaction.
- Buyer’s Signature, printed name, and the date
- Buyer’s driver’s license and issuing state
- Seller’s signature and printed name
- Seller’s driver’s license and issuing state
In conclusion, a firearm bill of sale template is a document that serves as evidence for the transfer of ownership. It keeps track of the purchase and ownership transfer of a gun.