A time log template is used in many activities in a work environment. It assists you in keeping track of time. This document is beneficial to both the employee and employer.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is a time log?
- 2 How to make a time log?
- 3 How can you track your time?
- 4 Conclusion:
What is a time log?
A time log sheet is a document that displays a chronologically arranged sequence of activities that you have done in the past or are planning to do in the future. The main purpose of this document is to track the time that you spend on performing a certain task. Furthermore, it is a very beneficial document in order to keep record of the progress of the tasks and the overall productivity. Many companies use this document.
The people who work also have to maintain a log. Employees also have to maintain logs for the projects they are currently involved in. For example, an office assistant has to fill out time log sheet when they respond to emails, answer phone calls deal with clients, and more.
Employees also use time log sheet to take notes of the times that when they started an assignment and when they complete it. This way, employers keep record of employee productivity. The incentives are also awarded to the employees for the times they have spent working.
With the help of this document, the employers keep track of employee progress on specific activities and assignments. In simple words, the time log sheet assists both employers and employees in keeping an accounting of valuable time. You should also check Daily Time Study Spreadsheet.
How to make a time log?
No matter you have a big or small business, a time log template is an essential document for time management. This document makes it easier for you to accomplish your tasks within a given span of time. Here are the steps to make a time log;
Make a sample time log of an “average day”
You can create it either manually or can use time management software. For each day, you have to use only one page.
At the top, create a list of your daily tasks
Each task must have a column of its own and there is no need to include simple daily chores unless these are an important part of your job. At the end of your list, make a column for activities you consider “time wasters.”
Indicate the hours of the day
Each hour spent at work must have a row of its own. On the basis of your work and your normal task schedules, you can split hours into half-hour blocks. You have to start with the hour you report for work. Then, add as many rows as required to complete your workday.
Add your daily activities
On the block on your log, write down notes each time you work on a certain task. Fill in a part of the block when you start work later in the hour. At least 5 days, do this each day. Also, use a new log sheet every day. This way, you can identify the average time you spend on each of your tasks.
Add the time-wasters too
You can also include the times that you spend on the activities that aren’t relevant to your work such as reading personal emails, surfing online, and more. Write down hours or half hours that you spend doing all of these activities in a time-wasters column.
Determine the data in your log and interpret it
You can identify the following from the information you have recorded;
- how much time you spent working
- the duration of each task on average
- each day, the amount of time that you waste
All this information you can plan your days accordingly, assign enough time for each task, and reduce the amount of time wasted.
How can you track your time?
Here are some pointers on how you can track your time more effectively using a time log sheet;
- You should take the log with you no matter where you go. It doesn’t matter either you have a good memory or not, you can’t remember everything.
- It is important to keep track the start and end times of all your activities. This allows you to identify the total duration you need for each activity. This also makes you aware of how you spend your time.
- You have to be as explanatory and specific as possible. Don’t just write down “working.”
- Include categories and sub-categories as required. Making categories provide you a better overview of how you spend your time at work. To make each activity more specific, you can further break these categories into sub-categories. This assists you in determining which categories take too much time and which one you’re ignoring.
- As you perform the task, write your feelings of each of the tasks. You may feel resentful, happy, stressed, bored, guilty, anxious, distracted, etc. However, whatever you feel write it down.
- For keep track of everything, include a “Notes” section. Here, you describe an activity as to whether it’s low, medium or high-impact, among others.
In conclusion, a time log template is a helpful tool for both the employee and employer. This document allows them to represent a chronologically arranged sequence of all their activities. This sheet assists you in accomplishing your tasks within a given period of time.