A certificate of origin template is a written document that includes a statement of which country a good or product got manufactured. This document usually includes information about the products, the country of export, and their destination. To identify the eligibility for import and more, a certificate of origin is a requirement by several treaty agreements.
Table of Contents
When do you require a certificate of origin?
From a packing list or a commercial invoice, customs officials need a certificate of origin template as a separate document. In specific countries, they also expect the certificate of origin form contains a signature of the exporter. Also, the document is first notarized.
Moreover, a certificate of origin must contain a stamp and signature by the chamber of commerce. Some countries customs officials also require proof of review from the chamber of commerce. So, you must have your own blank certificate of origin template if you are in the business of import and export. You may also like Certificate of Achievement Templates.
Two types of a certificate of origin:
Likewise a standard certificate of origin template, all templates have basic details about the shipped products, a tariff code, the importer and exporter, and the country of origin. Exporter is responsible for documenting this information. After that, he has to get the certificate of origin form notarized. Then, submit it along with the shipment. The more certain detail requirements of such a document are based on the types of exported goods and their destination. Let us discuss below 2 different types of certificate of origin;
This type of certificate of origin shows that under any trade agreements, the shipped goods don’t qualify for tariff-free or reduced tariff treatments. This certificate is also known as “ordinary certificates of origin.”
Preferential certificate of origin includes a declaration that the shipped goods qualify for tariff treatments.
The significance of a certificate of origin:
This document is important for following reasons;
- A certificate of origin gives allotment to business owners to preferential duty programs via trade agreements.
- It assists business owners in identifying the rate of duty. For example, a manufacturer finishes this document and provides a copy to the importer. He also makes the declaration at the same time.
- It also assists business owners in determining either they can legally import or export specific goods.
- It helps in setting control management of exports and imports and fulfilling the proper requirements for product marketing.
- This certificate is useful for statistical reporting.
- You can also use this document to differentiate the product from other identical products.
Furthermore, to comply with all of the terms and conditions of the foreign country you are importing or exporting goods to, you may require a country of origin document. You can also attach this document to an invoice that has the same information.
Before shipping any goods, the company that deals with international transportation, it is essential for you to do research on or communicate with them. This way, you can identify whether or not you require filling a blank certificate of origin. However, it’s up to you whether you submit the form along with your invoice or submit it online. The transport company you select to work with, this depends on it.
How to apply for a certificate of origin?
For this type of certificate, people usually choose online mode. You have to provide the following specific information for this process;
- the information about the producer or manufacturer
- the details about the consignee
- the transport details
- the information regarding the goods you plan to import or export
You have different options to select from a list of producers, consignees, and goods which come pre-loaded while applying for the certificate online. Also, during the application process, you can manually add all of these details.
On approved certificate, any good which haven’t involved previously, you must undergo checking to ensure that they meet all of the related criteria. In case, there is any problem with your application then you will definitely receive an email containing description of that problem. You can re-submit your application after resolving the problem.
On the other hand, if your application doesn’t have any application then it will surely get approved. You will also receive an email that informs you the approval of your certificate.
If your original certificate gets stolen, lost or damaged then you have an authorized signatory declare that ‘the original copy of your certificate has been either stolen, lost or damage.’
How to obtain a certificate of origin?
A certificate of origin is considered as an essential document in import and export processes. This document is requirement when you want to export goods to certain countries. Also, some countries make it compulsory for the export process. The certificate includes relevant details about the products you are sending for the benefit of customs.
However, the process of this certificate is very straightforward. But you must follow the specific procedures;
- You have to attach an Exporters Information Form Update along with a list of authorized signatories. Also, you have to affix their signatures on your certificates on behalf of your business.
- Before stamping on the document, you have to provide evidence of origin.
- It is also essential to give a copy of all the stamped documents for the track of the Chamber of Commerce.
- Affix the signatures on all of the export documents right underneath the statement of declaration before submitting the document for authentication.
- You must type and check the certificate and then print it out. Don’t write it by hand.
In conclusion, a certificate of origin template is an important document that indicates the country of origin of shipped products. This means it has detailed information about where these products got produced, manufactured, grown or processed. Additionally, the certificate is a requirement by several treaty agreements in order to identify the eligibility for import and more.