A time off request form is a document used by the employee to inform or generate a request for taking some time off or full leave on the particular date written down on the time off request form.
It is important for time office and HR teams to manage the resources for the business while the potential employees are not available. Therefore, time off request form is considered a must in business to fill in order to get time off due to any reason.
It gives HR and related managers some prior information and time to manage an alternative of the employee. Normally, this form is used in businesses. However, a time off request form template can also be used in projects to manage human resources. Typically, employee vacation planner sheets or project resource planning sheets are used as alternatives to the time off request form in project management. You may also like the employee training schedule template.
People also Ask
A time off request is a formal request that an employee makes to take time off or day off. The reasons behind the time off are different varying from holidays and personal time to medical leave and jury duty. Also, there is time off request forms available that are professional tracking documents. These forms keep a record of employees’ leaves.
Here are different tips for asking for time off from work;
- Firstly, plan a suitable time to ask for time off. Don’t ask for time off during the high-volume business cycle.
- Asked at the good time when your work is under control and well managed.
- You have to plan your time in advance whenever possible
- Then, put your request in writing. Especially, an email to your manager is sufficient.
- Keep your tone formal and it’s just a request not a demand. Moreover, don’t state your vocational plans to getting approval from your manager or supervisor.
- And state how your responsibilities are going to be handled in your absence.
- Before going take a catch up. Avoid leaving your colleagues with a ton of work. This is because you weren’t up to date with it when you left.
- Inform everyone about your responsibilities who needs to know. Furthermore, your clients and customers have to know who will accommodate their needs in your absence.
- Planning your absence well will help you in the future to get time off next time.
The accurate contents depend on your company’s requirements and the country you work in. But the basic things include such as employee and his manager’s name, date and time he wants to take off, the reason behind his time off (holiday, medical, personal, or etc), and his signature.
It all depends on how an organization/company makes its schedule and how much advance notice is necessary to incorporate requests. For most businesses, a minimum of two weeks’ lead time is a good initiative point. Moreover, you can change it to fit your specific needs. You can also set a certain date every month after which requests will not be accepted. This thing gives you a lot of time to get everything worked out.
Below there is how to make time off request policy that works for everyone;
- At first, you have to discuss the time off policies with your employees at the beginning.
- Next, set a deadline every month after which requests will not be accepted.
- Then, announce rewards for employees who want to work during holidays, weekends, and other peak times.
- Now, create a rotating schedule for each employee. It’s a fair way to manage requests.
- Keep the track of previous time off requests of employees. This includes that when they made requests, why they requested it, and the real-time off.
Importance of Time Off Request Form Template
Most of the small businesses have an employee as per requirement. There are few employees with a very specific skill set. When an employee takes early off or leave. It is the responsibility of the line manager to assign his duties and responsibilities to someone else.
But sometimes there are such employee exists in the company who don’t have any suitable alternative. Their work is unique or even due to the nature of work. It can’t be managed by someone else for a shorter period.
Then, it is important for line managers to ensure the availability of a particular employee on the job. When such an employee requires to take time off or full leave. They have to inform earlier via filling time off request form. You may also check the hourly schedule template.
In another perspective, time off request form is important for the time office team to manage the leaves plan of the employees. In some companies, employees are allowed to an available number of times off in one fiscal year.
Such as employees are allowed to take 30 times offs of 30 minutes, 10 time offs of 90 minutes and so on. In that case, the time office team managed the employee record as per authorization by the employee on time off request form.
How to make a Time Off Request Form Template?
Keeping in view the purpose of the time off request form template. It is important for the time office and HR team to make such a time off request form template that fulfills all the purposes. You may also download a free employee profile template.
A simple time off request form template asks for the following information;
- Employee Name
- Employee ID or Code
- Submission Date
- Time Off Request Date
- Type of Time off (Full Day, Half Day, Quarter Day, 90 min Off, or 30 min Off)
- Substitute Preferences of the Work
- Reason for the Time Off
- Time Off Request Quota
- Authorization by an employee to Time Off for up-gradation of employee record according to the request.
- Signatures of Employee, Line Manager, and HR Manager
Using the above information, a simple MS Word base time off request form can be made to serve as printable time off request forms.