A policy brief template is used for internal business relationships and government processes. The content of the policy brief depends on its purpose. However, policy briefs should provide propositions of solutions that help to communicate different issues.
Table of Contents
- What is a policy brief?
- Essentials of policy brief:
- Guidelines for writing policy brief:
- Factors that make a policy brief unique:
- Write a policy brief outline:
What is a policy brief?
A policy brief is a document that has a precise summary of all information. With the help of this information, readers can understand and make better decisions about current policies. Furthermore, it provides you following things;
- An objective summary of relevant information
- Suggest possible options
- Contain arguments about different courses of action.
You have to know and understand the existing policies before creating a policy brief.
Essentials of policy brief:
You should consider the following things before making a policy brief template;
- At first, you should research and understand the issues as much as you can that generated the need for policy choices. You have to gain enough knowledge about all the information associated with the issue. By doing this, you become able to answer any question and inquiry after you have distributed the policy.
- Next, you should also know about your target audience of your document. Make your document in a way that after reading it, the audience will feel fairness and objectivity.
- Also, mention the names of all stakeholders that are included in planning, developing, and implementing a policy brief. In this way, you can regulate the policy in a more organized manner. This also enables you to assign work functions and call to action to those people who provide their contribution in creating your policy brief.
- You should also take an idea from a recommended policy action to make your own document. Readers must also know that why you are creating a policy brief. Moreover, states that why you want them to follow the policy you have created.
Guidelines for writing policy brief:
If you want to make your policy brief efficient then include all the relevant information that allows the readers to perfectly understand the particular policy. Let us discuss some guidelines that will definitely help you in creating your own policy brief;
Firstly, use the title for your policy brief that grabs the reader’s attention. When readers read the title they become more familiar and aware of the content of your document. Select a simple and to-the-point title that is easy to remember.
The next step is to create a summary statement of your policy brief. You should state a precise statement so that the readers can understand it easily and know what the policy brief is all about.
Then, state the previous policy and its scope. Discuss what you want to change. Most importantly, include a clause that states the critique of policy options and it makes your policy brief more effective. It is essential if you want to change or remove clauses in a current policy which is then followed by the business or company.
Before making the finalization of the policy, you should consider and decide all the important items.
Define the importance of providing a solution for the problem. Mention the reason that why you are convincing your audience to take action in your document too. In addition, via a program that you have defined within your policy, the readers can take action.
At the end of your policy brief, mention the notes, recommendations, and improvement instructions. These are important for further discussion and inquiries. If your document contains all this information then it can act as a good reference for the future.
Moreover, outline all the sources. This makes your policy brief more objective, acceptable, and reliable.
Factors that make a policy brief unique:
There are 3 factors that make it different from other written assignments;
Different types of documents are for different types of audiences. But a policy brief that you create is for a general audience. Furthermore, you can also create this document for a policymaker who is concerned with the issue of a policy brief.
Different academic disciplines don’t like the use of unnecessary vocabulary. Also, a policy brief requires clear language. Never use jargon in a document. You should use direct language so that everyone who reads the document can easily understand it.
The main purpose of this document is to address the practical result of research to its audience. Hence, you can use this information for a particular purpose. With the help of this document, readers can decide what course of action they have to take. It compares the current research to the existing policies. Moreover, it also describes the application of research results rather than identifying research procedures. The policy brief explains all these points more strongly than research papers and other academic documents.
Write a policy brief outline:
When you are going to make your own policy brief then must include the following components;
The title of your policy brief should be effective so that readers can understand it easily.
In this section, you have to include one or two paragraphs that overview the issue and the policy action you are proposing.
Context of the problem:
Here you have to explain the existing policy approach. After that, explain the proposed options. You should write this section fairly.
In this section, discuss the steps you have planned to take to deal with the policy problem.
Next, the audience also needs some support to accept your points or arguments. You can also include some additional information here.
These are the sources that you have used throughout the document.
In conclusion, a policy brief template is a significant communication tool that helps you to reach your target audience of certain policy options accordingly. A complete and well-drafted policy brief helps you to reduce the inquiries of the readers. In addition, before making this document you should know about the requirements that you must follow.