What is the Building Maintenance Checklist Template?
A building maintenance checklist template is a document in MS Word, PDF, MS Excel, and Google sheets in different formats. This maintenance checklist involves multiple tasks depending upon the specific organization or business. It helps the managers and facility supervisors as it makes sure that a facility or building daily operations are running smoothly. It’s a priceless defense which means to retain a building reliably.
It is also known as a preventive maintenance checklist because it keeps a building safe by periodical planning and preservation projects. Such type of maintenance involves a huge variety of tasks such as; You can also like the maintenance checklist template.
- Repairing items that are broken
- Maintaining electrical systems
- Removing trash regularly
- Air conditioning systems
- Sprinkler management, and other utility services.
Table of Contents
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- What is included in building maintenance?
- How do you create a maintenance checklist?
- How many types of building maintenance workers are?
- Which organizations use the building maintenance?
- Categories of Building Maintenance Workers:
- Why Building Maintenance Checklist Template?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is included in building maintenance?
Building maintenance has an immense variety of tasks depending on the certain organization or business. It includes the following things;
- Cleaning common areas
- Removing trash daily
- Repairing the broken items
- Maintaining electrical systems
- Heating and air conditioning systems
- And, other utility services.
In some cases, building maintenance also has an outdoor property that involves sprinkler management, lawn care, and landscape management.
How do you create a maintenance checklist?
Here are 5 steps to create a maintenance checklist;
Step#1: At first, you have to select a file format that will assist you to make a perfect checklist. You can download the sample checklist templates from the internet.
Step#2: Next, you should know the purpose of the checklist why you are creating it. In this way, you know what you have to add to the checklist and what you need.
Step#3: The equipment to be reviewed can be different from person to person, so you should cover all the equipment by the given time, check and see if they require any repairs or not.
Step#4: It doesn’t matter what type of equipment, property, or appliance you require to review, it could be a place for any type of incident so you should keep precautions with you such as a first aid kit, safety instructions, etc. The checklist should include all these measures at the site of maintenance.
Step#5: After that, review your checklist, and if there is something that is missing add it and make changes wherever necessary. Now your checklist is ready you can use it.
How many types of building maintenance workers are?
There are generally 3 types of building maintenance workers depending on experiences and responsibilities.
- Janitor: Such persons typically handle the cleaning of a building or facility. Their responsibilities include mopping floors, cleaning bathrooms, cleaning windows and glass doors, and vacuuming carpets.
- Maintenance technician: These members perform tasks such as inspection, repair, and maintenance of building systems containing HVAC, electrical, and water. All these tasks are commonly assigned by maintenance supervisors.
- Maintenance Supervisor: Supervisor’s responsibility is to plan, assign, and manage the team members of maintenance for a certain shift. These supervisors review incoming work orders as well as short and long-term objectives for the day or week to sequence the maintenance department’s work. Other tasks such as interviewing, hiring, and training the maintenance workers are also handled by these supervisors.
Which organizations use the building maintenance?
Organizations that use the building maintenance are;
- Businesses: We all know every business needs building maintenance services. Smaller businesses complete these responsibilities under typical operations and outsource services themselves. On the other hand, larger businesses keep an in-house maintenance department to manage these requirements.
- Residential complexes: A team of building maintenance workers keeps by the apartment or condominium complexes for various tasks such as inspecting, repairing, and managing all the indoor and outdoor maintenance needs of the whole complex.
- Government: Municipalities use the building maintenance teams to retain the city buildings, post offices, and libraries in good working condition.
Categories of Building Maintenance Workers:
Depending upon on the responsibilities and experiences building maintenance workers divide into three different categories such as;
- Cleaner: Cleaners or janitors are responsible for the cleaning of a building or a facility. Their services include mopping floors, cleaning glass doors, windows, and washrooms, and vacuuming carpets.
- Technicians: Maintenance technicians perform different tasks like inspection, repairing the broken items, HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning), and plumbing.
- Supervisors: Maintenance supervisors manage a team of maintenance workers and assign them their work. They also review incoming projects including both short and long-term objectives to manage the maintenance department’s work for the day or week. Personnel issues such as hiring and training of maintenance workers are also under the maintenance supervisors.
Why Building Maintenance Checklist Template?
The materials used while preparing a building have their own life span. As their lifespan comes to an end the building starts degrading. To avoid the failure of structures and infrastructure there is a need for a maintenance checklist. This checklist is known as the building maintenance checklist template.
Building Maintenance Checklist gives thorough details about the facility and provides information about the repairing requirements. It also informed you about the condition of the facility you have. For enlisting all the damages and degradation maintenance should be observed on a weekly, biweekly, monthly, and on annual basis.
So, you can take proper steps to overcome this degradation and to avoid such types of failures and degradation in the future. After any natural disasters and geological changes, a maintenance checklist is maintained to overcome the damages in a very short time interval.
For all these purposes, the maintenance checklist has huge importance. It notifies the building owners about the maintenance of their properties. It helps them to keep their property in good condition. You should also check the vehicle maintenance log template.
Hence we conclude that the building maintenance checklist plays a crucial part in every life of the building. It is necessary to keep a maintenance checklist to keep your building in shape and prevent unnecessary repairing headaches.
Every development needs maintenance practice. It is because to retain the value of the property by keeping it well maintained. The building maintenance checklist template encloses a great deal of ‘’behind the scenes’’.