The proof of residency letter works as an affidavit to prove that the person resides at the stated address. The proof of residency letter is useful for many applications. Mainly, the letter is required by the govt. departments such as driving license or street parking issuing authorities. Also, it is usually submitted with other documents such as lease agreements.
The authenticity of the residency letter is proved by the attestation or notary acknowledgment. It’s necessary to notarize the letter in case no supporting document is available such as a paycheck, driving license, or utility bill.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is proof of residence?
- 2 Who requests proof of residency letter?
- 3 Uses of Proof of Residency Letter:
- 4 How to Prove Residency using Affidavit of Residency:
- 5 Elements of Proof of Residency Letter:
- 6 How to write a proof of residency letter?
- 7 How to write a proof of residency letter if you’re a landlord?
- 8 What documents I can use as proof of residency?
- 9 How can you get proof of address quickly?
- 10 Which mail is not considered proof of residency?
- 11 Faqs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- 12 For a child, who signs the proof of residency letter?
- 13 When to submit the evidence documents for the proof of residency?
- 14 Do you need to notarize a proof of residency letter?
- 15 Do you require witnesses while signing the proof of residency?
What is proof of residence?
Proof of residence is a formal document that ensures where you live and contains both your full name and your address printed on it. For the proof of residence following documents are accepted;
- Utility bill: Utility bills such as gas, electricity, water, landline phone, internet, or cable bills are acceptable. But remember one thing that all these bills are no older than three months. Your bill must include your full name and the exact address you used.
- Bank statement: Likewise utility bill your bank statement is also no older than three months and includes your full name and exact address you used.
- Rental agreement: Also, It must include your full name and the exact address you used.
Who requests proof of residency letter?
Proof of residency letter is usually requested by the resident when they need to prove residency for different reasons. In some circumstances, someone else asks for proof of residence in regard to your tenant. The written permission of your tenant will require you to disclose information to a third party because a landlord is responsible for protecting a tenant’s personal and credit information.
Uses of Proof of Residency Letter:
There are several types of affidavit of residency. How to structure a residency letter depends on the application. So, the residency letters for different purposes have different structures and formats.
The driving license authority required the residency letter to make sure that the applicant is a resident of the state in which the application is being submitted. However, employers can issue a residency letter on behalf of the employee to prove that the employee is working in a specific area for some time.
Similarly, the renters can issue the same letter on behalf of their tenants to prove the residency of the tenant at their property for a specific time.
Further, an education institution may ask to show up the proof of residency letter along with the other documents for admission. So, the letter issued by the landlord or notarized by the govt. the registered authority will be accepted.
How to Prove Residency using Affidavit of Residency:
There are different residency letters required by DMV and educational institutions. So, it’s important to understand what type of letter is relevant to serve what purpose. However, the residency letter works based on the evidence.
Once a letter is being drafted. Any evidence from the below list has to be attached to make the letter legit.
- Residential Lease Agreement
- Electricity, Gas or Cable Bill
- Tax Return
- Driving License
- Bank Statement
- Voter Registration Card
Elements of Proof of Residency Letter:
The format of proof of residency letters is pretty similar to simple letters. It starts with the name and complete address of the signatory party to whom the letter has to be submitted. Also, the issuance date of the letter must be mentioned.
The declaration statement must be focused and simple in jargon to serve the purpose. It must say the name of the letter holder, complete address of residency including street number, house number, area, city, state, and zip code.
The reference to the attached supplemental documents must be mentioned in a sentence or at the end of the letter using “enclosed” wording.
Finally, the closing statement must clear the understanding of the penalty in case of providing false information. Further, the witness acknowledgment section can also be added to the letter.
The witness section will include the declaration statement of a witness to evidence the information provided by the subject person. Further, the name, signature, date, and national identity number of the witness must be written for the authentication of witnesses.
How to write a proof of residency letter?
Here are some tips that will help you to write a proof of residency letter;
- Firstly, write your legal name on a proof of residency letter template.
- The next thing is to include your complete address right down to the zip code.
- After that, explain precisely how you have lived in your residence.
- Then, mention other people who are living with you in your home.
- Next, include your confirmation. Any affidavit of residence form that shows everything written in your letter is the truth.
- Continue this with a closing phrase. And then again write your full legal name.
- If you are going to submit a notarized letter of residency then create a line for the notary to sign.
- If you are a tenant then also create a line for your landlord to sign.
- The last step is to take a printout and before going to submit read it thoroughly. Also, keep a copy of the document for yourself.
How to write a proof of residency letter if you’re a landlord?
If you are a landlord, consider the following tips for writing a proof of residency letter;
- First, specify your purpose in the proof of residency letter from the landlord. In this section, write a statement that you’re verifying the residency of your tenants. Make use of complete legal names while writing their names.
- After that, the property where the tenant resides, indicates its complete address.
- Go through your initial contract to check the exact date when the tenant started to rent then state the time period they have lived in your property.
- The amount of rent they pay each month, mention that amount here. Ask the recipient before writing this information whether they need to know it or not.
- In the last part of the letter, include a statement that provides answers to any follow-up questions. Next, include your name and contact number so that the recipient get in touch with you if they have more questions to ask about your tenant.
- Write a closing phrase and your complete name at the end of the letter.
- Before printing the letter, proofread it thoroughly. Affix your signature and the date after printing the letter.
What documents I can use as proof of residency?
Following is a list of documents that are commonly accepted as proof of residency;
- Utility bills
- Financial statements
- Residential documents
- Government correspondence
- Vehicle documents
- Other documents
How can you get proof of address quickly?
Here are some ideas that will help you to get proof of address documents quickly;
- Go to your bank and demand a copy of your current account statement that contains your name and address. Many financial institutions will give this immediately, free of charge.
- In some cases, any piece of mail particularly addressed to your name instead of occupant or resident may be accepted as proof of residence.
- To prove residency at some government agencies, you may frequently ask your utility company or financial institution to fax a statement directly. Demand a fax number where you can give official proof of address.
- If you are a tenant then ask your landlord for a letter stating that you live there and have the letter notarized.
Which mail is not considered proof of residency?
Personal mail that is not a utility bill or a government agency is not considered proof of residency. On the other hand, any piece of mail from a city, state, or federal government agency can be considered proof of residency.
Faqs (Frequently Asked Questions)
For a child, who signs the proof of residency letter?
The child’s parents or guardian can sign a proof of residency letter consenting that the child lives at their house.
When to submit the evidence documents for the proof of residency?
You have to submit the evidence documents at the same time while submitting the proof of residency letter.
Do you need to notarize a proof of residency letter?
It isn’t compulsory to notarize this letter but it would be recommended to do so.
Do you require witnesses while signing the proof of residency?
It is important to sign the proof of residency in front of witnesses as well as include their signatures on it.